Forum 5

What did you do to your F10, F11 or F07 today?

8 hours ago, Caesar said:

My rear tyres wore more on the inside too. I agree, the run flats had the same unequal wear pattern, but more pronounced.

My E61 rear tyre wear was exactly the same.

I have the F10 and Pilot 4 ZP's.  Mine still have perfect shoulders after 31k but I guess I was over inflated as they've worn to the bars right round the middle.  Kwikfit coming 30th June, 5 days before MOT due.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, F10-65 said:

If you pass through Luxomborg the super deisel is cheap there, good chance for a clean through on that long stretch t Italia!

Never owned a diesel, never will... Dirty stuff and I hate the power delivery. Always run on super petrol as I'm tuned for it. 👍🏻

1 hour ago, F10-65 said:

Got flashed 5 times last trip in Feb and nothing arrived.  Germany have some new red flashy ones.  And use Google maps, best by far

Do you mean flashed in Italy? I've triggered French cameras and they no longer come home to find you. 

I've installed an MMI box so I've got Google maps etc on the OEM screen. 👌🏻

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Steve84N said:

Never owned a diesel, never will... Dirty stuff and I hate the power delivery. Always run on super petrol as I'm tuned for it. 👍🏻

Do you mean flashed in Italy? I've triggered French cameras and they no longer come home to find you. 

I've installed an MMI box so I've got Google maps etc on the OEM screen. 👌🏻

Fair enough, but Luxembourg is the cheapest anyway.

In Feb, I was flashed 3 times in Germany, once in Austria and again in Italy and nothing arrived as yet.  I did get flashed a couple of trips back in Germany during August but the ticket took till December to arrive.  When it did though it was 1 euro for every km over the limit so it was 10 euros, about 8 quid.

I've tried the OEM, Waze, Apple and Garmin maps but nothing beats Google.  Trust the detours too.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, F10-65 said:

I have the F10 and Pilot 4 ZP's.  Mine still have perfect shoulders after 31k but I guess I was over inflated as they've worn to the bars right round the middle.  Kwikfit coming 30th June, 5 days before MOT due.

The extreme tyre wear appears to only affect the F11 versions. All my tyres certainly wear very evenly on my F10. 

It’s either all the dead bodies they lug about in them or the fact that they are driven most of the time with knackered rear air springs and the geometry is out as a result 🤭

My E60 would wear to the canvas on the inner edge but not like the F11s do it’s more on the shoulder.

Don’t go to Kwik Fit….

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Andrew said:

The extreme tyre wear appears to only affect the F11 versions. All my tyres certainly wear very evenly on my F10. 

It’s either all the dead bodies they lug about in them or the fact that they are driven most of the time with knackered rear air springs and the geometry is out as a result 🤭

My E60 would wear to the canvas on the inner edge but not like the F11s do it’s more on the shoulder.

Don’t go to Kwik Fit….

I hear you but he's coming to me

1 hour ago, Caesar said:

Dead bodies tend to comprise mainy of smug F10 drivers. I have room for one more!

I have good reason to be smug thank you very much. My tyres are wearing evenly 😆

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, HandyAndy said:

I swapped mine over a couple of years back. The OE ones really were tatty after 2 years of police use and 2 more of mine.

Likewise I got the Chinese replacement button rather than a new BMW unit and I actually much prefer these. The hard plastic feels clean and positive with every use whereas the OE rubbered ones always felt squidgy, especially in the 30c+ summers we get over here.

Changing them over was very simple with assistance from a couple of YouTube videos showing breakdown of the steering wheel.

Turns out you’re completely right.  Much more positive feel/grip.

I’ve cancelled the return

Ta

IMG_0987.jpeg

Edited by F10-65
  • Like 3

Booked her into local independent for a new water pump and thermostat.

I've been losing a bit of coolant for a while now (1/3 of a litre every few weeks) but no puddles under the car and the occasional smell of something burning (thought it smelled of washer fluid).

However low coolant warning came on the other day and as I poured it in a puddle appeared after a couple of minutes on the ground.

Had a look from the top of the engine bay and everything looked ok - ERG cooler was dry, pipes coming out of coolant tank the same. Took off the undertray and poured some more coolant in (about 1/3 of a litre to get it above the min) and it started to drip out straight away from straight under where the water pump/thermostat are. 

When I looked closer at the water pump area I could see green corrosion around the seal and bolts.

Car is almost on 150k (owned since 100k) and as far as I know is on the original pump and stat. I was told when I bought it the EGR cooler had been done under recall and the ribbed/flex pipe on it where they tend to crack looks clean and there is no dampness around it.

I like to pride my self on a bit of DIY but just don't fancy mucking around with emptying and refilling coolant and having to do the aux belt. Last summer I did the inlet manifold, new glow plugs and front suspension refresh and so fancy letting someone else do this so I can relax at the start of my summer hols 🙂

Edited by Munzy
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, Andrew said:

Get that in a trailer saves getting the inside dirty

😂 Some strategically placed cardboard saved the boot floor from most of the stray grime. I just had to slide it out and shake it off. 

13 hours ago, Andrew said:

My tyres are wearing evenly

Actually my first set of Crossclimates wore very evenly and covered 30000 miles, with a front/rear rotation every 3-4000 miles. I'm onto my second set on my winter wheels now. It's too early to say how they'll wear but I'm confident they'll be as good as the first set. I've been through a few sets of tyres on this car now and Crossclimates seem to suit the F11 best out of all of them. I've got PS5s on my summer wheels now and will see how they fair but I'm tempted to just use Crossclimates all year round.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, F10-65 said:

Got flashed 5 times last trip in Feb and nothing arrived.  Germany have some new red flashy ones.  And use Google maps, best by far

In Germany you'll see the 'blitzers' either on the side or centre of autobahns... the little 'bombproof' (yes, some people take exception to them) trailers are often in roadworks or at junctions in the reduced speed limits.

Then there's the ones typically hiding behind the side Armco that you'll see flashing red... like a jerrycan on its side on a tripod... they're getting you for distance between vehicles.

In towns you typically get tall, grey cylinders with multiple red windows... for speed.

Each type and location are operated by different agencys, stadt and landes. Effectively like UK highways, dvsa, county council and town council all having their own. Since UK is no longer EU, each agency has to apply to DVLA individually and that costs each time. Many won't bother with Brits due to the hassle and cost, but some will and add the costs to the fine. It's very much hit n miss.

• Thanks 3

On 16/06/2023 at 23:37, Steve84N said:

Got the Silverstone driver's door card on, resplendent with new interior door handle. Feels so nice... Also got a speaker upgrade from the M5 with it. 

IMG20230616110435.thumb.jpg.d7fbe633ec35bc03002a10b51eca6c48.jpg

IMG20230613231254.thumb.jpg.3fb970d0bda37dbf47a3dc153dc4884a.jpg

Gave it a wash with something other than water. Think that's a first since I've owned it, normally just a hose and mitt.

IMG20230616141826.thumb.jpg.84ddbc8c5d6d565a45dd8def2754e5ec.jpg

IMG20230616164224.thumb.jpg.db1d385525f231ecbb7d5706a2b0af84.jpg

Tomorrow the journey to Italy begins! First stop is family in Bierwart, Belgium. 

Our usual target in Italy is Padova to visit family too.  We tend to train under the channel to Calais then head for Ulm in Germany just past Stuttgart with Google Maps set to avoid tolls.  From there, turn the avoid tolls setting back off to go down through Austria, over and through the Dolomites down to Padova.

If you cross Austria or Switzerland don't forget to buy a Vignette in the last services before you leave Germany.  My mate got the 250 euro fine two years ago. 

Try to do Germany overnight to avoid the traffic if yo can.

You might have left already so have a good trip, its a great drive.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

Or get a boot liner and save dragging a silly box around at 50mph. 

I have a boot liner, thank you very much.  But I still have rules about what goes in the car or in the trailer.

Besides, the Highway Code states quite clearly you can tow at 60mph where appropriate. 

• Like 1

Got as far as Luxembourg before I had to fill up. There was no super unfortunately, it was either 95 or 102 and the 102 was all gone. Therefore, I had to adjust the map to lower power for 95.

I've still got a smaller higher frequency vibration in the car. Might have found a smoking gun though. The front and rear driver's side brakes were giving off more heat than the passenger side when we stopped from a long motorway stretch. My guess is they're sticking just a tiny amount, the wheels weren't hot like a really sticky brake. Annoying for now but hopefully when I do a full brake job with caliper refurb I'll have a smooth car!

On the short unlimited stretch in Germany I was pulling hard in 5th around 130ish then it went into semi limp mode with restricted power. Pulled over and restarted, then it was back to normal. Didn't get another chance to go fast though. Probably didn't like the petrol... 

• Like 2

I let the wife drive mine today as I drove her Kuga to my local trusted garage to diagnose and fix an ABS fault as I don't have diagnostics that can interrogate anything beyond EOBD codes in other cars.

While I walked the 8.7km home, she used my car for the school and nursery run.

She was still out in mine when I got the call to say the Ford was fixed, so she swung passed the house and picked me up to ride shotgun. While we were returning to said local trusted garage in my car as I sat wrenching my passenger door handle to the right in an effort to steer the car away from the kerbs, the baby decided to loose her lunch.

IMG-0906.jpg

#carnage

On reaching the garage the three of them decided to drive home in the Kuga as the smell of puke was quite over powering using the excuse of there is a dry, clean, and not smelly baby seat already in the Kuga.

I pay the garage bill for my wife's Kuga.

I drive the 8.7km home with the aircon off and all the windows open.

While sat at the traffic lights, trying not to breath, I noticed the following.

IMG-0910.jpg

#don'tlethewifedriveit.

On getting home, thankfully only a couple of very minor splashes of partially digested food landed on the leather and were easily cleaned away.

I, and only I, will be in my car tomorrow, for work.

• Haha 7