Forum 5

What did you do to your F10, F11 or F07 today?

Hi guys, it's been a while since I've worked on the car but today I've spent 4 hours taking my nearside headlight apart. In January I was doing a long journey through torrential rain and I got the dreaded error codes indicating that my headlight seal needed doing on the drivers side. In December 2022, I DIY repaired the offside one with the help of a relative.

I've been putting it off purely due to the labour it takes bent over - your dominant hand will take a beating too.

Once the job is done tomorrow/Tuesday, I'll do a full write up on the method. I know several people have asked on here over the years and I've responded to the posts where possible, however there isn't a guide as such on this forum just yet, so I'm hoping to be the first.

For reference, there are places who'll reseal for you for a tidy sum of £200-250. The alternative is a new unit which could cost £800 - £1,000 +

Stay tuned.

20240825_212412.thumb.jpg.898679220fa6c2113b2e105362e8101d.jpg

Edited by RH27
  • Like 3

On 27/08/2024 at 18:39, skyjawa said:

MOT fail - near side rear coil spring broken. 🤬

Oh bother 

If you have means of getting car high enough and to have the wheel at ride height it’s DIYable 

and a decent set of spring compressors. 

I have done a front and rear spring change on my old 2012 Focus, back when it was about 3 years old. Even then it was a struggle with one of the rear shocks, and that was on a younger car with 30k miles on the clock.  Given I don’t really have the time and mines 13 with 115k I think I’m going to leave this to the garage to fight with. They quoted 290 to do, which sounds to me a lot considering the springs are 30 quid each. Will phone around in the morning…..

Edited by skyjawa

That's a very good price. Hour to and hour and a half for a tech who has a ramp and actually knows what they are doing compared to some wannabe driveway diyer....

• Like 1

Went to my local dealer in Giffnock today to pick up some sump plugs, washers and an oil level sensor O ring. 

IMG-7050.jpg

and they suckered me in on a “summer” deal

IMG-6989.jpg

on screen wash. Although I’d argue we’re still waiting for Spring to arrive up here. 

IMG-7049.jpg

So 6, 1 litre bottles for less than 1, 5 litre bottle. 

IMG-7006.jpg

Also got a price on a replacement nearside headlight. Oooofffttt. 

I need to stop working near my dealer, it’s too easy to pop in and buy parts…..

With the eldest at Guides Tonight I was able to potter about. 

Tyre pressures checked.

Coolant level checked and hasn’t moved a mm since water pump replacement.

Rocker cover gasket confirmed as a leaker. 

Headlight condensation reduced by leaving cap off for an hour. 

Screen wash topped up. 

Nice quiet time. 

@Steve84N 

Nearside ~650mm

Offside ~ 640mm

Measured as per my last pic, car (empty) had been driven 15m after washing and had just reversed over drop nose kerb into my driveway. 

IMG-2743.jpg

I checked the new ^near side struts with old when I replaced them two years ago and they were there or thereabouts.

I remember after replacing one spring back in early days of lockdown with a genuine spring I thought it sat a bit higher but no. 

Certainly hasn’t had any effect on my wheel alignment or handling ability if its sitting higher than spec.