Forum 5

What did you do to your F10, F11 or F07 today?

Drove mine to Mercedes Benz World for the boy. A few BMW’s in the car park.

Good snoop around and also sat in a few C Class and SUV. Strangely they didn’t have any E Class on display. EV versions are just plain ugly.

Suffice to say there’s no danger defecting to the dark side. Cramped, couldn’t get in and out without steering wheel getting in the way (at full adjusted height), god awful switchgear, middle screen pointed at the roof rather than the driver. Yuk.

my 13 year old 5 is a much better place to sit, and PHYSICAL BUTTONS!

Edited by skyjawa
  • Like 2

Started the rebuild after work 

IMG-6797.jpg

Torquing the pump bolts 

IMG-6829.jpg

New thermostat and radiator outlet hose. 

IMG-6873.jpg

All bled out. 

IMG-6877.jpg

Engine ran and checked for leaks and fault codes. Neither were found.

Will test drive tomorrow, I’ve left it up on axle stands so I can recheck for leaks tomorrow before putting underbelly back on. 

Phew!

2 minutes ago, Steve84N said:

@Andrew I assume that's not the final picture with the lower hose not on properly? 

Fear not no, just a work in progress. 

IMG-6838.jpg

I needed to lever on that hose clip. Struggled last time with that little bu$$€r. And I’ve put the jubilees back on the lower hose. 

Checked level this morning 

IMG-6882.jpg

All good

IMG_6887.jpg

It held 14psi for 15 minutes while I refitted the underbelly and tidied up my tools. 

Need to take my youngest to her dance class at 09:00 so pressure on. Pun fully intended. 

• Like 1

A twelve mile test drive later and very carefully and slowly opened the expansion tank cap.

IMG-6890.jpg

Level was spot. 

A few wee gurgles from the heater which was hot and the hidden menu demonstrated that the thermostat was opening and closing as the water temperature fluctuated between 92 and 104 degrees. 

Will obviously check the level over the next few journeys. 

Now that I have fixed my water pump issue, the spend continues.

Ordered up a ZF transmission service kit today from Autodoc.

Usual Monday low prices and todays appeared lower than I have noted before so went for it.

• Like 1

A new headlight module fitted (again). Took the wheel off this time to have a better look inside but it took a club hammer and a wooden block to release it from the hub. I tackled the rest as you don't want a wheel stuck on the side of the road. Pads good for another year I guess and disks all look good. Gave the old girl a wash as she was covered in hay and dust from the haymaking trailers that pass the house at this time of year. Looks a treat now for the next couple of days at least. Did my speed awareness a few weeks ago so all good.

1 hour ago, Cockney Chris said:

Took the wheel off this time to have a better look inside but it took a club hammer and a wooden block to release it from the hub. I tackled the rest as you don't want a wheel stuck on the side of the road. 

A smear of ceramic grease on the horizontal bearing spigot and vertical brake disc where the alloy meets the hub will prevent that. Been there done that with hammering off alloy wheels on FBMWSH cars....

17 hours ago, Andrew said:

Now that I have fixed my water pump issue, the spend continues.

Ordered up a ZF transmission service kit today from Autodoc.

Usual Monday low prices and todays appeared lower than I have noted before so went for it.

That reminds me I must get mine done, kits been sat there a good 9 months 🙄

Sold her 😞

Huge thanks to everyone on the forum - enjoyed the daily check in, tips, tricks and saving thousands of pounds.

At 165k she has cost me a few quid this year (rocker cover & gasket, oil filter gasket) I know I was about to start chasing problems with aging bushes/rubbers, CATs etc that I don't have the stomach or cash for.

Fancy what will (hopefully!) be a period of spanner free motoring and bought a Tesla Model 3 - sacrilege I know but  with 36k, a year left of warranty and 5 years for the battery I fancied a wee shot of something quite different.

Cheers and all the best for the future!

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Good luck @Munzy appreciate your input on here. 

I always wave goodbye to Tesla drivers as I drive past when they are sat reading War and Peace while they wait their life away charging their batteries.  🫢

• Like 1

Trip to Screwfix for some £6 sealant ends up costing rather a lot more 😡

Screw fixed me up good and proper 😡

Need to finally sort getting correct TPMS sensors, and switching to non rft…..

IMG_0321.jpeg

Finally tracked down a metallic clunk over bumps at the front end. I'd narrowed it down to the brakes as it stopped when they're pressed. 

Not easy to spot but the caliper slide pin bushes were just too big... 

IMG20240821213438.thumb.jpg.9ed39a8d1e6ed795d87f605cd5a98aa1.jpg

I had some spare after my total brake refresh and must have used the wrong ones by mistake. The one on the right holds the pin snugly as it should. 

@Andrewvery easy, just by hand without lube.

The wrong ones are only a few thousand miles old as I changed them when I did the overhaul.

Not 100% sure which is which but I had some from Frenkit and TRW. I'd be willing to bet the TRW ones are correct. 

The slide pins and pistons from Frenkit are already corroding. Got some new ATE pins and they look like they'll last much longer based on the surface finish.

I'm regretting swapping out the original ATE pistons as they were still sound and not really corroded due to having a surface treatment. They were a lighter alloy too. Doh. 

Edited by Steve84N
  • Like 1

Ordered up 2 x Eagle F1 Assymetric 3 for the rears and 2 x Eagle F1 Assmetric 6 for the fronts, couldn’t get the same front and rear from anywhere to be fitted in decent time. Being fitted at Halfords on Saturday, just hope the TPMS arrive on time.

wanted to use Costco (assy 3 and assy 5) but couldn’t get an appointment until September, Halfords was 50 quid more (15% off 4 tyres at mo, plus signed up to the motoring club so got an additional 5% off as well as £10 voucher off and a free MOT, which I need next week anyway, so on the whole roughly equal on price taking all that into account)

Got a cheap repair kit from Amazon so in the pouring rain this morning got the rear wheel off and brought inside. Repaired the puncture and limped to Halfords. It held up great! Also removing the tyre I wasn’t too upset at having to change as they were getting quite close to the wear markers anyway….

Drove home on the non Run Flats (I already have a tyre Slime kit in the boot anyway) and the ride improvement was immediately noticeable. Not fussed about not having run flat functionality as it failed epically on Tuesday - so for info Pirelli Cinturato suck as an rft.

IMG_0486.jpeg

Edited by skyjawa

After 7 months and still no more water entering my boot I gave up and put the tray holder thing back in the battery spare wheel well as it had just been kicking about my garage 

IMG-6944.jpg

And checked the battery.

IMG-6943.jpg

I think having a fully functioning battery lead has kept it healthier by making a better electrical connection.

It was while I was doing that, the parcel from Germany arrived.

IMG-6954.jpg

IMG-6955.jpg

IMG-6960.jpg

IMG-6963.jpg

Only ordered it on Monday. 

Although I want to change my rear brakes and I think I’ll have to go for a new nearside headlight before fitting this lot……

• Like 1