Forum 5

What did you do to your F10, F11 or F07 today?

Oh God I do hope im not being mr thicko from thicko drive but my F11 does not seem to have european maps on the idrive. I was thinking of going abroad in the near future and that would have been dead handy. Have to use Apple or Waze I guess. I did renew the nav data about 4 years ago and just assumed that it did west europe. Just in case I have to do something to find it please advise.

What is the model year? BMW usually gone with European maps as standard.

Mine is a 2016 model year, using NEXT maps. These aren't available as standard from the BMW map update site, but a special order from Germany.

Have you tried typing in a country name to see of it picks up? Mine has the West Europe map set installed, but was supplied with 'Professional' or high features. If you only have basic navigation, you might only have UK maps installed?

On 22/07/2024 at 14:33, Cockney Chris said:

Oh God I do hope im not being mr thicko from thicko drive but my F11 does not seem to have european maps on the idrive. I was thinking of going abroad in the near future and that would have been dead handy. Have to use Apple or Waze I guess. I did renew the nav data about 4 years ago and just assumed that it did west europe. Just in case I have to do something to find it please advise.

You will have European maps no matter which version (business or professional) of the BMW satnav you have, it should be a case of just changing the country before searching for the street/postcode.

• Like 1

Thanks you lot, I will try the change of country. When I updated the maps I'm sure it said west europe as you have said but when I try to put in a foriegn postcode it doesn't want to know. Of course that makes perfect sense to change country otherwise it may overcome the system I guess. Thanks for your knowledge once again its much appreciated.

Well I took the F11 for a little drive in the glorious sunshine (I'm sorry... is it not sunny in blighty?).

The purpose of said drive.... for me to go take a look at a rather nice G31 530d. 

After a good 30mins crawling over, under, inside and through it... VIN check, test drive and operation of every system it's possible to operate, I agreed on a purchase price.

So in a couple of weeks I'll be shuffling next door to the G mob. Not yet worked out what to do with my aging F11, I suspect in the current world a old, large diesel isn't going to do good things in the marketplace, so sadly may end up on das scrapheap.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, HandyAndy said:

Well I took the F11 for a little drive in the glorious sunshine (I'm sorry... is it not sunny in blighty?).

The purpose of said drive.... for me to go take a look at a rather nice G31 530d. 

After a good 30mins crawling over, under, inside and through it... VIN check, test drive and operation of every system it's possible to operate, I agreed on a purchase price.

So in a couple of weeks I'll be shuffling next door to the G mob. Not yet worked out what to do with my aging F11, I suspect in the current world a old, large diesel isn't going to do good things in the marketplace, so sadly may end up on das scrapheap.

I reckon you’ll be able to sell the F11. It is Euro6 so very usable in major cities still and people are still buying diesels, even new, so your 2014 may well just find another home. I hope it does as it would be a shame to be a scrapper.

@HandyAndynice work, I think I will be going the same route not sure when but I am sure in the next year or so probably.

How many miles does it have? Also is it EU6? Mine is registered March 2013 and is EU5 still, and I think it was phased in until the end of 2014 so would be interesting but as Matthew states there is still a market for them!

The only decision I have is if I go 530d or 540i (I am leaning towards latter, as my mileage per annum is pretty low, so why not enjoy it more with some extra beans... oh and diesel is slowing dying out I guess 😞)

Edited by Percha

Of course there is a market for used 530d estates.

Cavernous load carrying capacity with a 6 cylinder engine with loads of grunt that gives you what 600 mile range and takes 5 mins to refuel. 

Whats the alternative?

A proper fugly Tesla? No chance!

The used electric car market is on its arse.  

Three year old Teslas are struggling to sell for as little as £12k. Who in their right mental state of mind will want a used EV with a battery of unknown properties which will write the car off if it fails. 

Tesla next to me on holiday Model Y on a 24 plate big fookin ugly thing. £52k new in March, now worth £35k 4 months later, not four years, four months! 

Although if you own a Volvo diesel estate/SUV it will now probably go up in value as Volvo have stopped making Diesel engines to only make EVs. 

• Haha 1

On Saturday, I spent a few mins polishing a scuff someone had left on my wing mirror.

Then yesterday I took the 530d for a long drive down to Bristol to look at a Porsche Cayenne GTS. 😇

With long stretches of the cruise control set at 72MPH, I managed to get 42MPG. Before this, the best I managed was 39.6MPG

That seems a bit low, my 530d will do 40mpg without even trying, I got 44-48 when I went to Paris and I wasn’t hanging around! We saw 50mpg indicated on the way there before the traffic got a bit busier!

I have had similar before with lower than expected mpg in 30d BMW, caused by glow plugs, glow plug module and/or thermostat not working properly.

Edited by skyjawa
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Steve84N said:

Remember Andy is in Germany so maybe things are different there? 

Andy’s is a U.K. RHD F11 so I assume he’ll be selling in the U.K., zero market for it in Germany I’d think. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Percha said:

How many miles does it have? Also is it EU6? Mine is registered March 2013 and is EU5 still, and I think it was phased in until the end of 2014 so would be interesting but as Matthew states there is still a market for them!

Interesting, I thought the N57 became euro6 compliant with the 2012 update. What is your car’s build date?

11 hours ago, Matthew said:

Interesting, I thought the N57 became euro6 compliant with the 2012 update. What is your car’s build date?

My Dads September 2012 build N57 was still Euro 5 so would have been a problem if he’d kept it as Glasgow went LEZ a year ago. 

Absolute beast of a car it was, he used it to pull a caravan to France and back and said it was effortless. 

Father-and-son.jpg

He chopped it in along my mums F30 320ix for a new B47 (Euro 6) G03. 

It took me a long time to forgive him. 

16 hours ago, mullinsj08 said:

With long stretches of the cruise control set at 72MPH, I managed to get 42MPG. Before this, the best I managed was 39.6MPG

I’d echo that something isn’t right. Even I can get over 40mpg when cruising at that speed. 

Sorry @Steve84N and everyone else I was having a moment re EVs being the alternative to a decent big Diesel powered barge. 

Yes I know, I’m a Dinosaur

11 hours ago, Matthew said:

Type XB52
Model 530d
Market Europe
Development Code F11
Chassis Touring
Steering right
Doors 5
Engine N57T
Displacement 3.00 l
Power 190 kW
Drivetrain Rear-Wheel Drive
Transmission automatic
Color Sophistograu Brillanteffekt Metalli - B90
Upholstery Leder Dakota/schwarz - LCSW
Production Plant Dingolfing
Production Date 2012-11-22

16 hours ago, skyjawa said:

That seems a bit low, my 530d will do 40mpg without even trying, I got 44-48 when I went to Paris and I wasn’t hanging around! We saw 50mpg indicated on the way there before the traffic got a bit busier!

I have had similar before with lower than expected mpg in 30d BMW, caused by glow plugs, glow plug module and/or thermostat not working properly.

4 hours ago, Andrew said:

I’d echo that something isn’t right. Even I can get over 40mpg when cruising at that speed. 

Thanks both. The glowplugs and module were replaced a couple of years ago as when I got the car it was throwing codes for that.

The thermostat was on the list already. There is also a code for exhaust back-pressure which comes and goes. Can't remember exactly what it is but I can go run a scan again in a bit.

5 hours ago, Andrew said:

Got a new toy today 

IMG-6121.jpg

Will use it to do my gearbox mount hopefully soon.

IMG-6122.jpg

Youngest wanted me to try it out on her car first. 

I used a bottle jack, a block of old wood and an old fence post when I done my mounts.

20220815_184346.thumb.jpg.5456729a434a05f5890ef7165529ec4d.jpg

7 hours ago, mullinsj08 said:

Thanks both. The glowplugs and module were replaced a couple of years ago as when I got the car it was throwing codes for that.

The thermostat was on the list already. There is also a code for exhaust back-pressure which comes and goes. Can't remember exactly what it is but I can go run a scan again in a bit.

You can also use this to see what’s going on with the coolant temp. Should get up to temp and stay rock steady….

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shakeel.j said:

I used a bottle jack, a block of old wood and an old fence post when I done my mounts.

20220815_184346.thumb.jpg.5456729a434a05f5890ef7165529ec4d.jpg

Yeah but I wanted an excuse to buy another toy.

Man maths 🤪

On 28/07/2024 at 23:44, Matthew said:

I reckon you’ll be able to sell the F11. It is Euro6 so very usable in major cities still and people are still buying diesels, even new, so your 2014 may well just find another home. I hope it does as it would be a shame to be a scrapper.

Yep, got a buyer for the F11 within 48hrs. Being Euro 6 it gets a Green 4 sticker here so it's not banned in the main cities either, so the guy buying it is loving what's coming his way.

On 29/07/2024 at 09:29, Percha said:

@HandyAndynice work, I think I will be going the same route not sure when but I am sure in the next year or so probably.

The only decision I have is if I go 530d or 540i (I am leaning towards latter, as my mileage per annum is pretty low, so why not enjoy it more with some extra beans... oh and diesel is slowing dying out I guess 😞)

It's currently showing a gnats nadge over 263,000km, passed everything MoT since I've had it with little more than 'covers fitted' as advisories. Drives great, awesome economy and buckets of power on demand.

It's not pretty as the de-policing took the surface off the bonnet and roof paint, but I have a buyer lined up who looked at it this morning, so yes the market is still there. 

Govt vehicles were purchased with the latest available eco level, hence a 14 plate being Euro 6.

The new one was delivered last night. After the formalities, the first thing I did? Set everything to English!!

Just got to unload all the extras now... Came with 2 sets of (I think) 618s and another set of a twin spoke I have yet to identify.

Edit: now identified as Rial X10 7,5x17 ET27 5x112 17"

All wheels on and off tpms fitted. I'm thinking clean and flog.

IMG_20240731_081036_647.jpg

Edited by HandyAndy
  • Like 3