Forum 5

What did you do to your F10, F11 or F07 today?

1 hour ago, Steve84N said:

At moving back in yes, but they lack anticipation. You can be almost on top of them going past when they suddenly pull out to go around a lorry. They also love to go up your arse even if you're mid overtake. And they drift over the line more than here. Swings and roundabouts... 

this is indeed very true!

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Stacker said:

Picked up my new to me F11 today!

530d in Space Grey, nice spec including heated steering wheel and heads up display! So far so good...

Nice! Jealous of the heated wheel, that’s the thing I miss most from the last 10 years of previous cars

11 hours ago, Stacker said:

Picked up my new to me F11 today!

530d in Space Grey, nice spec including heated steering wheel and heads up display! So far so good...

Similar to mine including colour, except I only have the 2.0 d. I love the HUD, although notice I can not see it if wearing sun glasses. Happy motoring

11 hours ago, 999mch said:

Similar to mine including colour, except I only have the 2.0 d. I love the HUD, although notice I can not see it if wearing sun glasses. Happy motoring

Interesting you say that, I had a G05 X5 for a year and that had HUD, which I couldn't see with the polarised sun glasses I had at the time, however my current prescription sun glasses that are not polarised, I could use the HUD in the 530d driving back yesterday fine!

I'm a but fussy when it comes to cars, so I've ordered the 12v socket cap thats missing from the rear, and also noticed when I got home a rear mat was missing so might have to order a set of new mats for the car too!

Was a treat to discover the car had a detatchable towbar too!!

Checked my air con, guess it’s ok. 

IMG-5701.jpg

Granted it was only 13 deg C outside but it’s really humid. 

New condenser fitted by BMW under AUC warranty in Jan 2017. Ashamed to admit it’s not had anything done to it since except not switching it off. 

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

Checked my air con, guess it’s ok. 

IMG-5701.jpg

Granted it was only 13 deg C outside but it’s really humid. 

New condenser fitted by BMW under AUC warranty in Jan 2017. Ashamed to admit it’s not had anything done to it since except not switching it off. 

Thats nothing to be ashamed about, is it?

I never really know with air con what you should really do, I was always under the impression it should be kept topped up, and if it suddenly stops working then it's too late, however my father always says it's a closed system so shouldn't 'just leak out', and another friend says not to regas until it stops working, becuase sensors will stop it working if gas gets low and won't damage more components.

I leave mine running on auto all year long, and with previous vehicles have had the gas renewed every 2 years but I'm starting to wonder if it's just a money making scheme... would rather not find out during a hot summer though!

• Like 1

I have had many cars with AC, not one have I touched/serviced/regassed etc and I have owned them for 5-8yrs+ each. For me if its not getting cold or not working for sure fix it, but if its blowing cold to touch leave it alone. I have always run it "Auto" all year round on all cars.

My E39 air con packed in, local garage regassed it and said all was well. It then failed again shortly but I traded it in before fixing it. 

So like @Percha I’ve only ever intervened when something wasn’t right, like when my F10 wouldn’t clear the screen in winter and dealer confirmed condenser was holed (and replaced) but system still operated as light on A/C button still lit. 

Most early(ish) F10s had condensers replaced under warranty back in the day and are on their 2nd condenser. A sure sign of this having been changed is observing tool marks on the strut brace bolt heads (which should be replaced) as the cross brace needs to come out to access the condenser. 

IMG-8589.jpg

Fitted a speed limit emulator which shows up on the HUD and dashboard.

Started to fit the reversing camera, but ran out of time so had to put the dash back together !

51 minutes ago, F10-65 said:

That looks like the same soap as last week Andrew 🙂

It is the same soap. 😝

It's Clean Your Cars own brand of snow foam.🤪

I have snapped the car before in the same spot with soap on it (more room there than when its parked safely on my driveway), but it was three weeks ago since it was last washed. Quite a lot of brake dust build up on the front wheels which made me want to clean them.

1 minute ago, Shakeel.j said:

Unfortunately the neighbours children decided that a stone would look better through my window 😢 found this out 45 mins ago

20210803_210310.jpg

😰 And their mum and dad will be paying for that I presume?

3 minutes ago, Shakeel.j said:

20220226_140112.jpg

That is impressive, pity it's now covered with triple X glass which will literally be everywhere inside the car.

Hope it gets sorted quickly.

Ashamed to admit, but I had to top up my engine oil after a 120 mile motorway blast today.

It's done 5,500 miles since the last oil change last October. This is the most amount of miles its done between any oil changes since 2018! So it's probably used oil but because the previous highest miles between oil changes was 4,500 miles I've never ever had to top up.  

I had been very bad in neglecting to check the level. Since doing more motorway miles the car has been running really sweet.

If only it had a physical dipstick. Must remember to check it more often...

It does have a slight sweat from the rocker cover gasket but what 11 year old BMW doesn't? So I'm assuming it's drinking it as there is nowt else obvious well, other than a slight sweat from the turbo oil return pipe.

Well finally finished fitting the reversing camera, what a pain trying to get everything back, ended up putting the control module in the glove box. Just need to fit the front camera now.

23 hours ago, Andrew said:

Ashamed to admit, but I had to top up my engine oil after a 120 mile motorway blast today.

It's done 5,500 miles since the last oil change last October. This is the most amount of miles its done between any oil changes since 2018! So it's probably used oil but because the previous highest miles between oil changes was 4,500 miles I've never ever had to top up.  

I had been very bad in neglecting to check the level. Since doing more motorway miles the car has been running really sweet.

If only it had a physical dipstick. Must remember to check it more often...

It does have a slight sweat from the rocker cover gasket but what 11 year old BMW doesn't? So I'm assuming it's drinking it as there is nowt else obvious well, other than a slight sweat from the turbo oil return pipe.

Tut tut! I think the system is a PITA. Takes a good 5 miles or more before idrive will give a reading. Dipsticks are a good thing. 

Washed twice and dried this evening after work ready for our trip down to Naples and Vesuvius. 1500 miles there

Finish work tomorrow at 4, home to collect the missus and pest junior
Catch the Eurotunnel at 18:16
Head for Luxembourg then Ulm to avoid the tolls
Enable tolls on the sat nav and head down through Austria to Padova
Pick up Nonna and Nonno to spend 4or 5 at the beach in Carole
Drive down to cousins place in Rome for 3 nights
Then further down to visit Vesuvius and Herculanium for 2 days
Back to Padova till the Saturday
Catch the tunnel again back to Blighty on Sunday morning

Cant wait

Back to work Monday

Untitled.thumb.png.eab101a173b26efad30b44c3ee12e359.png

• Like 2

13 hours ago, F10-65 said:

Washed twice and dried this evening after work ready for our trip down to Naples and Vesuvius. 1500 miles there

Finish work tomorrow at 4, home to collect the missus and pest junior
Catch the Eurotunnel at 18:16
Head for Luxembourg then Ulm to avoid the tolls
Enable tolls on the sat nav and head down through Austria to Padova
Pick up Nonna and Nonno to spend 4or 5 at the beach in Carole
Drive down to cousins place in Rome for 3 nights
Then further down to visit Vesuvius and Herculanium for 2 days
Back to Padova till the Saturday
Catch the tunnel again back to Blighty on Sunday morning

Cant wait

Back to work Monday

Untitled.thumb.png.eab101a173b26efad30b44c3ee12e359.png