Forum 5

What did you do to your F10, F11 or F07 today?

The rear components sound ace but I discovered one tweeter isn't working. I've narrowed it down to a faulty crossover as it works with a different one. I'll speak to the company I bought them from tomorrow. 

Got the two underseat speakers in at lunchtime. Fairly straightforward except I managed to lose a small screwdriver under the carpet and only realised once I'd already bolted the seat back in. 

IMG20240206095015.thumb.jpg.ba6f1f9da6e5672b6d0c4014d1d88f3c.jpg

IMG20240206100825.thumb.jpg.12b807a0e3328bc363425897775a81b4.jpg

• Like 3

Fitted the replacement battery negative lead. 

Cleared the fault codes relating to the battery disconnecting and IBS sensor missing. Quick test drive, stop start didn’t activate probably because it was so cold, engine cold and a few electrical loads on. But more importantly no fault codes were found after the short drive. Will get a full shake down tomorrow commuting. 

So far so good tho. 

• Like 3

Well the 'new' battery lead and slightly shonky battery managed to start it this morning at -4.5deg C without issue.

No chance for the stop start to work as the traffic wasn't too bad and it was brass monkeys. 

Water leak into the boot is next on the fix list.

Gents

Recently replaced my control arms and all was good for a few weeks but after bouncing through a couple of pot holes the 70-80 wobble is back.

I'm thinking to change the arms again or just replace the bushes with the powerflex ones here...
Powerflex Front Radius Arm PFF5-6001 for BMW F10 F11 5 Series (powerflexsuspensionbushes.co.uk)

Any experience anybody?

On 02/02/2024 at 12:21, mullinsj08 said:

Booked the car into the garage for 12th Feb to have a few bits done:

- Install the Bilstein B12 Pro-Kit
- Install PowerFlex bushes in all the front control arms
- Replace front wheel bearings

Hopefully, that should sort the vague steering and floatiness. I will create a thread closer to the time to document the journey.

How did the PowerFlex go?

The price of those power flex bushes is what it cost me for two complete arms.  The inner bushes need an almighty press to change them so labour costs will be high.

Assuming they were fitted correctly (bushes torqued up with car at ride height) i doubt the control arms are the problem. 

I would strip, clean and lubricate the brakes and make sure the hub to disc and disc to wheel mating surfaces are perfectly clean. 

While it’s all apart I’d check the other suspension components for wear and play. 

• Thanks 1

First attempt to repair F11 520d OSR wheel carrier. ~ damage cause by mrs reversing into raised kerb on untarmac’d new housing estate.  Resulting in cracked anti roll bar drop link bracket snapping off the wheel carrier.

new carrier is £582 bmw managed to source one from scrap yard £70 cash, bmw value line bolts and bushing £99, new febi drop link £IMG_0921.thumb.jpeg.bc7e0ab2c23e4a2b3a830dc9a236ed55.jpegIMG_0939.thumb.jpeg.8f89e4e2204ed484f0ec2583dfdf7f55.jpegIMG_0959.thumb.jpeg.a8499e14569aaff5fff7f229020abd6e.jpegIMG_0960.thumb.jpeg.aa3c015667ad327ae9c37d44b4ce1612.jpegIMG_0964.thumb.jpeg.5d201cf0432b590ae7460d9599a04f8e.jpegIMG_0969.thumb.jpeg.fc9f035202ea3df069a64f51cb39293d.jpeg

IMG_1463.thumb.png.58cf52a4e777cf6b412c35c8b48069cb.pngIMG_1464.thumb.png.49e15cc60a233d80de1b3877dc76cbda.pngIMG_1474.thumb.png.c5eb36d5a517da652fb8470100c1c4bf.png

IMG_0760.thumb.jpeg.17b2958b18232b7595696a9890e63da1.jpegIMG_0765.thumb.jpeg.fc361d7e4edeb3d6bccd1ec9a301205b.jpegIMG_0764.thumb.jpeg.9861734e077df86eb06748493df47860.jpeg

IMG_0769.png

IMG_0966.jpeg

IMG_0967.jpeg

Edited by VPCAPTAIN
Add pics
  • Like 3

Evening all.

Asking a silly question….

BMW eBay have a bike rack setup for the F10 listed. Links for bars and rack below.

My car is a 66 plate F10 and eBay says it isn’t compatible.

I messaged BMW on eBay for the item and they never responded.

is there something I might be missing here? Or just eBay got wrong data? 

I defo have the screw holes on the roof.

finally…for those with experience, any reason not to buy these? I’ll likely keep my car for another few years. Only done 35k and it’s pretty much all the car I need.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194195212047?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=ivhsJMteRHm&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=Rz2XMTLuR--&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195293985464?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=ivhsJMteRHm&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=Rz2XMTLuR--&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

@Percha thanks for confirming.

I think the BMW ones are made by Thule anyway, but will look at that Thule wing bar tomorrow a bit more if it’s meant to be quieter.

Hoping to get my 11 year old in to some biking. Few nice places near me (Delamere). 

He show's no interest in racing expensive RC cars around a race track with me, so hopefully this will do the trick for some bonding and less computer game time.

Edited by Skynet5
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Skynet5 said:

@Percha thanks for confirming.

I think the BMW ones are made by Thule anyway, but will look at that Thule wing bar tomorrow a bit more if it’s meant to be quieter.

Hoping to get my 11 year old in to some biking. Few nice places near me (Delamere). 

He show's no interest in racing expensive RC cars around a race track with me, so hopefully this will do the trick for some bonding and less computer game time.

Good choice of hobbies! Dipped back into 1/10th RC buggy racing for a couple of years there after a 30 year break, had a blast 🙂 

The OEM BMW bars look terrible to me, far too tall and ungainly. I also prefer the flush bars rather than the T shaped through ones - look much slicker imo.

I have the Cruz ones in the link below and leave them on the car as I think the F11 Touring actually suits them - a proper family action sporty look 🙂

You do lose a bit of space with the flush bars - I can get 3 (adult mountain bikes 27.5 inch wheels and High Roller/Minion 2.3 tyres) on no problem and for the odd occasion I need to I can get 4 carriers with bikes if I loosen and turn the handlebars and remove the pedals (pic below).

As for bike carrier I use the wheel clamping ones as I sometimes have carbon road bikes on them and don't like the Thule clamping on the downtube. The Yakima ones also look great in the stealth black and feel really good quality, especially the plastics.

Saloon:

Roof bars & Roof racks | BMW 5 series four door saloon (2010-2017) (roofbox.co.uk)

Touring:

Roof bars & Roof racks | BMW 5 series Touring (2010-2017) (roofbox.co.uk)

Yakima FrontLoader 8002104 (roofbox.co.uk)

thumbnail_IMG_3621.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3614.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1237.jpg

Edited by Munzy

19 hours ago, Skynet5 said:

Evening all.

Asking a silly question….

BMW eBay have a bike rack setup for the F10 listed. Links for bars and rack below.

My car is a 66 plate F10 and eBay says it isn’t compatible.

I messaged BMW on eBay for the item and they never responded.

is there something I might be missing here? Or just eBay got wrong data? 

I defo have the screw holes on the roof.

finally…for those with experience, any reason not to buy these? I’ll likely keep my car for another few years. Only done 35k and it’s pretty much all the car I need.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194195212047?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=ivhsJMteRHm&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=Rz2XMTLuR--&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195293985464?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=ivhsJMteRHm&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=Rz2XMTLuR--&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Both those items are perfectly fine for your 66 plate F10 and the part number os specified for the LCI and non-LCI F10 (roof is the same on both)
As has been mentioned, the bike carrier looks very similar to the Thule Proride 598. 

I am not convinced the Thule Aero bars are able to reduce the wind noise more than those BMW bars.  I have the "Genuine" BMW bars on my G32 and I have covered the slot on the top of the bars with silver duck tape and this made a big difference to wind noise. I used my roof bike rack once and have subsequently gone back to a fitted towbar and a Thule 3 bike carrier on the back of the car and just use the roof bars for the roof box when needed to carry our skis.

@Munzy I’ve spent a little time today looking and concluded the OEM look high.

Currently swayed towards the Thule through bars in black. My car is same colour (space gray or what ever they call it) as a saloon.

roofbox good to buy from then?

alternative is I can get it all from Halfords.

Edited by Skynet5

1 hour ago, Skynet5 said:

@Munzy I’ve spent a little time today looking and concluded the OEM look high.

Currently swayed towards the Thule through bars in black. My car is same colour (space gray or what ever they call it) as a saloon.

roofbox good to buy from then?

alternative is I can get it all from Halfords.

I've used Roofbox a good few times and always had quick delivery and fast (same day) responses to queries/support - I think it's that rare thing of a family run business so you get to speak to people directly instead of those hideous Ai chatbot things 🙂 

Agree on the black bars for the saloon Space Grey - will look great. 

• Like 1

On 09/02/2024 at 18:52, F10-65 said:

How did the PowerFlex go?

The car is still at the garage but as soon as it's back and I've had some time to drive it around I will let you know my feelings 👍

On 10/02/2024 at 09:56, Andrew said:

The price of those power flex bushes is what it cost me for two complete arms.  The inner bushes need an almighty press to change them so labour costs will be high.

Assuming they were fitted correctly (bushes torqued up with car at ride height) i doubt the control arms are the problem. 

I would strip, clean and lubricate the brakes and make sure the hub to disc and disc to wheel mating surfaces are perfectly clean. 

While it’s all apart I’d check the other suspension components for wear and play. 

They're quite pricy, but hopefully, they sort out the vague loose feeling steering.

I wasn't getting any vibration under braking, but it was mentioned on the MOT that there was some wear to the brake reaction arm bushes so may as well get it sorted at the same time as the suspension while everything is coming apart anyway.

Committed.

Ordered the Thule kit all in black with through bars, as I think they look cooler than flush.

2017)

TU598B - Roof mounting bike carrier: Thule black ProRide 598
x2

TULB01 - Our unique lock matching service for Thule locks: Please delete this line if you do not wish to participate
x8

TU7107 - Foot Pack: Thule fixpoint Evo feet (4) no. 710700
BMW 5 series four door saloon (2010 to 2017)
x1

TU7113B - Thule Evo WingBars black: Thule Evo 127cm black WingBars (2) no. 711320
x1

TU7027 - Adapter Kit: Thule Evo and Edge fixpoint adapter kit no. 7027
x1

TU7107-5 - Roof bar accessories: Thule fixpoint kit covers (4 units) no. 710750

Edited by Skynet5
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, Andrew said:

You need to speak to @duncan-uk….

I've been following his thread closely 🙂

I think part of my issue is that the rear suspension is very worn out and not putting the proper weight on the front. Not that the front suspension is much better!

Got the car back from the garage this morning, what a difference! 😮

Direct, firm, planted. All things my car wasn't 2 days ago. Gave it a quick blast down the A3 and all the floatiness is gone.

@F10-65 The PowerFlex bushes have tightened up the front end but in no way is it harsh or added any additional noise to the cabin.

I'll do a proper write-up later along with some before/after pictures.

1 hour ago, mullinsj08 said:

Got the car back from the garage this morning, what a difference! 😮

Direct, firm, planted. All things my car wasn't 2 days ago. Gave it a quick blast down the A3 and all the floatiness is gone.

@F10-65 The PowerFlex bushes have tightened up the front end but in no way is it harsh or added any additional noise to the cabin.

I'll do a proper write-up later along with some before/after pictures.

Can you post a link to the bushes you ordered please

3 hours ago, F10-65 said:

Can you post a link to the bushes you ordered please

Here you go...

Tension struts (Brake reaction arms): https://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/products/powerflex-front-radius-arm-to-chassis-bush-2-x-pff5-6001.html

Bottom wishbones: https://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/products/front-control-arm-to-chassis-bush-2-x-pff5-6002.html

Top wishbones: https://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/products/front-upper-wishbone-bush-4-x-pff5-6004.html

The ones for the tension struts make the most difference.

I had them all replaced as the suspension was coming apart anyway.

• Thanks 1