Forum 5

What did you do to your F10, F11 or F07 today?

Cleaned out my yellow grommet plenum for the first time since May 21. The first time I remember removing a good couple of handfuls of rather impressive looking compost so didn’t know what to expect this time. Pleasantly surprised to see there wasn’t too much in there so my efforts at clearing leaves and drilling holes for drainage must have combined to work in my favour. Good to see the clear sealant I smeared on seems to be still clinging nicely too.

On another note, I’m pleased that it’s going in for the EGR Cooler replacement next week as the idrive shows a new message from BMW Info as of today telling me that there is a very high risk that the EGR Cooler might be showing the first signs of leakage. I assume it’s telematics driven and is probably a result of the software update that was done 12 months ago to increase sensitivity to EGR Cooler (& valve?) behaviour. I’m just pleased it’s booked in / hopefully there’ll be no problems between now and next Thu…

IMG_3863.thumb.png.88936d4e18c5a962d699101398cb05a8.pngIMG_3864.thumb.png.49532910d3afb8a45ee4e8cfba0e5833.png

• Like 1

Car is booked in with the dealer at the end of the month for its MOT, and a list of issues to have resolved before the warranty expires mid Feb - 

1. MOT. I’m also going to ask if the advisory on the last MOT can be repaired under warranty. ‘Rear prop shaft flexible coupling slightly deteriorated rear rubber coupling”. Any one know what this actually is?

2. Drivers door lock intermittently stops locking. Can’t move the pin or lock it with the key. Last time this happened it fixed itself after 2 weeks. 

3. Still has the creak from the front suspension over speed humps.

4. Steering has become a little vague feeling at motorway speeds. Sport mode makes it a bit better, but not much. 

5. The fan on the Climate control has stopped working. It comes on for a minute or so when you first start the car, but then slowly dies down to nothing.

6. Speedo and rev counter screen went completely blank. The only thing showing was ‘D’ for the gearbox. This has happened quite a few times now and took a long time to come back. See pic below.

7. Weirdly, I’ve spotted to small patches of what seems to be rust under the paint on the nearside passenger door? If this is rust, I’m hoping it will be dealt with under the 12 year corrosion warranty. See attached pic.

20240107_140119_Original.jpeg

20231230_183418_Original.jpeg

Edited by Dimsum

Hey Dimsum

I have two similar bubbles in the same Space Grey paint which look like under paint rust.  My car is from October 2015.  So I should be covered by the 12 year as well.  I looked this up before but didn't find 12 years anywhere.  Do you have a link to anywhere online.

Have you owned your car from new though?

Daren

2 hours ago, Dimsum said:

The link I found is https://discover.bmw.co.uk/help/ownership/anti-corrosion-warranty-cover

I’ve only owned it for the last 3 years, but it’s only ever been bought and sold within the BMW dealer network and has had a BMW warranty running since brand new. Hopefully they won’t quibble, but I’m not holding my breath!

Thanks, I found a photo of one of my bubbles too.  And I've just emailed my BMW Shop to see what they would do.

Watch this space...

Good luck

IMG_0073.jpegIMG_0795.thumb.png.a96962684bcd0063db6dc89d9d6d90c0.png

Edited by F10-65
  • Like 1

Down here in Kent its not supposed to rain for over a week so I took mine to the local car wash at the back of the kebab shop for a scrub. it was too cold for my own little handy's.

They do a cracking job.  I fall in love with her all over again while shes clean

15 hours ago, F10-65 said:

Thanks, I found a photo of one of my bubbles too.  And I've just emailed my BMW Shop to see what they would do.

I notice that the second photo with the bubbling near the window trim reminds me of the corrosion claim I had a couple of years ago. Apparently it’s very common on the F10/11 and is something to do with the aluminium used in the doors reacting with an adjacent metal. It’s a well known warranty claim so you should have little problem getting that one done - I had it on 3 out of my 4 doors and it was sorted without quibble. 
I don’t know about the bonnet or other panels though as these might be viewed differently - it was specifically the tops of the doors near the window trims that were the common weak point for early life corrosion. Good luck though - it ought to be sorted by the dealer regardless!

Hope that helps…

• Thanks 1

@F10-65 go to Aylesford BMW, its where I took mine for warranty on the door paint and they repainted all four doors and made a very good job (although trim and scratches were present upon refit first time around, so then it went back in to have that sorted as well)

They will want to assess first, by measuring paint depth. If its not in tolerance from factory they wont touch it at all so be aware!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Percha said:

and they repainted all four doors

Out of interest @Percha, did they repaint the whole door? I was hoping my dealer would as the paintwork isn’t great on mine (I think it lived under a tree once upon a time) but they only re sprayed the immediate area of the corrosion fix - albeit blended in brilliantly as I couldn’t see the join.

Edited by Andy5150
  • Like 1

Got my road tax notification in.

Need to get a years ticket on it first.

January is always an expensive month, MOT, Road Tax, Tax bill, Professional Membership fees.😩

• Sad 1

You know you're a sucker when you spend £170 on steering wheel trim. That said, I do think it's worth it. The standard trim is mostly matt finish but strangely transitions into sort of glossy at the bottom, which I didn't like and it was one of those things I couldn't unsee. The new one is nice and matt, but more importantly actually covered in leather instead of just patterned plastic. A new back part is needed too, due to the hole through the spoke. 

IMG20240110143830.thumb.jpg.3090fcbb3b85eba51a9e593fd038849d.jpg

IMG20240111134116.thumb.jpg.9bb9bd254c47fa8e93741b5e3a34f042.jpg

IMG20240111135025.thumb.jpg.f22a5e360fa8b20bfcbb6b93f280fa11.jpg

IMG20240111135004.thumb.jpg.4815a4efe88d5d1bcbda396c06a08b64.jpg

IMG20240111140042.thumb.jpg.28418fe365641582b9c7ce6fda062922.jpg

IMG20240111140102.thumb.jpg.dc0d50258d5ea44fab05a4d56992dae8.jpg

• Like 1

Changed the oil now the new engine is run in, only a very small amount of glitter in the filter and the oil looked clear.

IMG_20240113_190342.thumb.jpg.d1209516e421e0224db77841bec845c0.jpg

Managed to fit the rear bearings but not without a fight. Even the long, slim E14 socket wasn't fitting onto the four inner bolts. They're just so close to the driveshaft. Ground it down for more clearance and eventually knocked the driveshaft back enough to be able to undo them. Only 100Nm so cracked easily enough but they were horribly stiff and needed heat to wind out. Five hours all in.

IMG-20240113-WA0003.thumb.jpg.ad27c2f864694ac101fe301c17b6d4aa.jpg

I've only done a short stretch on the motorway to test and it seems to have all but banished my vibration. There was no appreciable play moving the wheel before, maybe a slight notchiness moving the bearing by hand off the car. Trouble is, the alloys are so heavy that even a tiny imperfection will manifest itself into something. I think I still have a low volume grumble from the tyres where they're worn on the inner edge and swapped to the front. More driving required to know if my problem is fixed for sure. 

Flashed the DME back to Stage 1 MHD, I was running Stage 2+ before. It has woken the turbo up nicely, previously reaching around 7psi peak in this cold weather and now 12psi. It's gone from being a bit tardy for my liking to more swift and effortless. Pulls hard all the way to redline and fat torque from 1.5krpm. Should be around 400lb/ft and mid 300s for horsepower. Stage 1 doesn't require any hardware but I've got a sports cat and bigger intercooler from when it was more highly tuned. Therefore, it'll be running as well as it possibly could and zero heat soak issues. 

Feels like I'm finally getting there with this 535i...! 

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, F10-65 said:

Oh no. What’s this anybody?

photo looking up at the turbo

IMG_1931.thumb.jpeg.3608d37a6d4016b49627f83be85534d8.jpeg

Pretty sure thats the pressure pipe feed into the Turbo from the Intercooler, see photo 2.

Then see photo 3 there is a seal, maybe that. A bit hard to tell from your photo.

image.thumb.png.a3a024f88755257c16a807dc8847673a.png

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Percha said:

Pretty sure thats the pressure pipe feed into the Turbo from the Intercooler, see photo 2.

Then see photo 3 there is a seal, maybe that. A bit hard to tell from your photo.

image.thumb.png.a3a024f88755257c16a807dc8847673a.png

Hey Percha

There is another similar looking pipe, i think at the other end of the intercooler, that also has oil on it.  Does that fit with your suggestion?

3 minutes ago, Steve84N said:

The pipe to the intercooler shouldn't be that wet, it's carrying air. Looks to me like the pipe on the right is leaking, turbo oil feed? 

Yes, it's definitely oil leak.  Someone said there is a kit but what am I looking for?  The kit I mean

13 hours ago, F10-65 said:

Yes, it's definitely oil leak.  Someone said there is a kit but what am I looking for?  The kit I mean

Is this the kit I ought to be changing?
KT100560 FA1 11428513616 Mounting Kit, charger ▷ AUTODOC price and review

And this too...
OP10939 AJUSA 11658513641 Oil Pipe, charger ▷ AUTODOC price and review

Thanks Team