Forum 5

What did you do to your F10, F11 or F07 today?

Yeah it was quite an involved job having to wrestle with the inlet manifold first.

Sounds ok to me as in usual sounds/levels. Believe me if I hear the slightest noise I’m checking things. I reckon since I fitted new intercooler seals and a new air filter it’s a little bit quieter albeit from in the cabin. 

Write up to follow. 

• Like 1

Took it for a short test run first time out since new gaskets. 

After the heater was hot I could hear a slight gurgling coming from the heated matrix. 

Topped up the expansion tank and bled the system again with the electric water pump. 

No more gurgling from the heater matrix. 

• Like 1

@Andrewjust keep checking the expansion tank before you drive for the next few times. If you had some air there's a reasonable chance you've still got a little bit left. Tends to sort itself out with use but you want to be sure it's consistently full before putting it on the not worried about list. 

• Like 1

Got a lovely drivetrain warning this morning.

First thought was the whole EGR thing, but it's running fine, l/100km is very nice and coolant is safely in range.

Next up was a scan that brought a new fault of interest pointing at a DPF concern. Specific scan brought back a 65g mass with a warning limit of 60g. So it looks like the F11 is up for a DPF reinigung session. (That's cleaning for you lot).

Luckily Germany seems to be utterly filled with businesses offering the service, so in the coming days I shall be investigating further and hoping this deals with the drivetrain warning 🙄

Four coats in and it's looking much better. Not sure the colour match is quite spot on but it's close enough inside a car. The headrest is actual Silverstone Merino. The backrest is still a bit wet in the photo. 

IMG20231018232124.thumb.jpg.5ab61c0e5af01200e022fa448ecd1d83.jpg

I'll do a fifth coat to see if it brightens up any further as the black could still be 'shining through'. If there's no real change then I know it's as good as it can be. Then the top coat sealer...and the whole thing again on the tricky split seat with armrest/storage. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Cadwell Parker said:

What mileage are you on now? I'm up to 169800 now. My ash mass is just over 50g

Mine is currently just over 257000km, so call it 160,000 miles. Once you factor in the 'unique manner in which police vehicles are driven' (sat idling for ages then a cruise or blast back base for shift change) then I can see how the mass would be so high.

• Thanks 1

Replaced rear pads and discs (pad service light up,discs below spec and looked original!), no real drama other than exiting EPB installation mode  but it seems its sorted itself out, just been for a test drive and "Hold Assist" and Electronic park brake all working as it should.

I went for Brembo discs and pads, as the discs are two part as per OEM, pads came with all new hardware (spring clips, caliper bolts etc) and Pagid wear sensor. Also as you should replaced caliper holder bolts (note now E14's, so if yours still have standard bolts the discs have never been changed or bolts never changed!)

A lot of crud in the connection box for the wear sensor, to point it was full and could not see the connectors!

All jobs completed for now, next big items are a gearbox service and diff oil change. This year so far its been front discs and pads, full service (oil, oil filter, fuel filter, air filter, cabin filter).

Edited by Percha
  • Like 3

Changed oil and filter for the 11th time in my ownership. 110000 miles now covered by me. The car passed the 170000 mile mark today. Booked in at my mates garage next week to get a new fuel filter fitted. Air filter waiting in the shed for a day soon when there isn't a freezing gale blowing outside.

• Like 2

On 15/10/2023 at 22:59, Andrew said:

Yeah it was quite an involved job having to wrestle with the inlet manifold first.

Sounds ok to me as in usual sounds/levels. Believe me if I hear the slightest noise I’m checking things. I reckon since I fitted new intercooler seals and a new air filter it’s a little bit quieter albeit from in the cabin. 

Write up to follow. 

Controversial opinion: For a straight six they don’t sound that good. 

Sold mine to the 1st viewer on Thursday who took it there and then.

Been ours for 10 years (my fathers the previous 3 years) and has never let us down on the side of the road. A brilliant long distance machine. Cheap to run too. No additional warranty and the only items over none servicing were: suspension airbags, aircon condenser, and electrical light module. Depreciation at around £1250 per annum. 

Certainly more reliable than the E39's over the same ownership time and a massively capable car that I learnt to respect but not as nice to drive as the old E39's. 

A G31 has a lot to live up.

• Like 3

Checked my coolant level when cold.

Exactly where it was last time I saw it, on the max mark.

IMG-2910.jpg

All appears well with all the connections I disturbed last week too, no sign of oil or coolant anywhere.

The new bolts are still shiny.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Steve84N said:

Those bolts are unusual, like they're designed to hold something else on the end? 

Yeah, they have like a ball end for popping something over them. 

I got them from @Cotswoldbmwmini ages ago and queried them for that very reason. Sure enough Cotswold confirmed they were correct.

Meant I had to source a single deep E12 Torx socket so I could fit them, but it took me so long to get round to the actual job of fitting them I’d sourced a set of deep E Torx sockets. 

• Like 1