Forum 5

E28 Chrome windscreen trim Removal.

duncan-uk

The best way to do this job is to take your time and start on the rear screen first this is the easier of the two.

First carefully remove the two chrome corners with a small flat head screw driver, put the screwdriver into the rubber seal on the windscreen side and lift upwards, the reason for putting it into this side is in case it slips, and it will not mark the glass but it would scratch your paint so try and stay on this side of the rubber whenever you are using the screwdriver.

Now pull the old locking strips out, try not to snap them as you want to use these for measuring the new strips.

Now you want a bucket of warm water add some washing up liquid and clean the inside of the rubber seal.

Now get a bottle of fairy liquid and fill the channel in the rubber seal use your finger to get it right into the grooves, dry your hands and you can proceed with the first strip on the drivers side, place the strip in the top corner and slide it down until it locates the grooves in the bottom chrome corner piece, you may have to fiddle about a little to get it into the grooves but sure you will get what i mean, repeat on the opposite side.

Now for the top strip, slide it in form one side until the whole strip is even on each corner now all you need to do is put the chrome corners on and use your screwdriver to ease them below the rubber.

Sure by now you have got the hang of it, but on the front one DO NOT CUT THE NEW STRIP TO SIZE, FIT THE WHOLE STRIP AND THEN CUT OFF THE EXCESS, don’t be put off by the two bends it is strong material. Now all you need to do is wash them down with warm water to get rid of the washing up liquid.

I have to say this one of the most satisfying jobs i have done, sure you will feel the same when you see the end result. Will try and post pictures tommorow when i get to work.

The old strips snap easily due to age.