Forum 5

Any one imported a car from South Africa?

duncan-uk

I know we had a few members from SA (or with connections) in the past and hopefully we will again but i've seen a car thats peaked my interest - aside from the risk of buying blind (not sure how stringent SA MOT checks are) but how hard is it to import and register a car in the UK?

Idle musing really but interested to know the ins and outs.

I’d like to find out more about this as well, i’m keen to try and pick up an E39. Assuming most cars from South Africa are pretty much not exposed to rust issues?

The Japanese market for importing cars seems to have went bonkers crazy like prices in general

• duncan-uk changed the title to Any one imported a car from South Africa?
On 21/09/2022 at 10:55, duncan-uk said:

I know we had a few members from SA (or with connections) in the past and hopefully we will again but i've seen a car thats peaked my interest - aside from the risk of buying blind (not sure how stringent SA MOT checks are) but how hard is it to import and register a car in the UK?

Idle musing really but interested to know the ins and outs.

I wouldn't want to buy blind, or without being able to give any prospective car purchase a road test, bmw's in particular are highly technical cars, even the 520i, the M5, is a technological tour de force, just too much to go wrong.

Maybe a holiday to Cape Town beckons, then if bought, you could do a travel blog on driving it home.

There isn't an annual MOT test like the UK per say. I think there is suppose to be a road worthy test when cars exchange owners but this is rarely done. As for rust, cars on the coast might suffer from it. My father had an Opel Monza (Vauxhall Belmont) when we lived on the coast. The floor rusted out on that car...but it could be GM 80s quality. There isn't salt spreading on the road or anything like the UK that could accelerate rust. The climate doesn't get that cold.

I'd look out for proof of maintenance and any previous bumps/accidents/stolen records. Maintenance can be missed especially if the owner couldn't afford the upkeep. However, there are a lot of car enthusiasts in SA who will cherish their cars and look after them. Prices tend to be higher than UK prices. However, relatively speaking classic cars, unless really special models, do not have a premium unlike the UK or USA. 

It's not too hard to register one in the UK, well no harder than a Jap import. You'll probably need to install a rear fog lamp if it doesn't already have one as they are not compulsory in SA. Speedo and mileage will be in Km too. The two main ports are located in Durban and Cape Town.

Which car has tickled your fancy? They are a lot of cars made for the South African market only....especially cars pre2000s. 

Thanks Derek, thats much as i thought in terms of MOT as i think it was the case when we visited in 97.

Monza and belmont are different - one is a sexy coupe the other a booted hatch - hoping it was the former your dad had but yes all 80s vauxhalls i had rusted for fun!

The car i'm looking at isn't common here and the one ive seen seems a good price and sold via a dealer but not seeing it in the flesh is my worry.

The price is right that even shipped i think its a good deal but i havent had my brave pills!

37 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

Thanks Derek, thats much as i thought in terms of MOT as i think it was the case when we visited in 97.

Monza and belmont are different - one is a sexy coupe the other a booted hatch - hoping it was the former your dad had but yes all 80s vauxhalls i had rusted for fun!

The car i'm looking at isn't common here and the one ive seen seems a good price and sold via a dealer but not seeing it in the flesh is my worry.

The price is right that even shipped i think its a good deal but i havent had my brave pills!

Buying from a reputable dealership is safer than a private seller from Gumtree/Autotrader. If you are not going to SA, I would ask for a lot of pictures and videos. 

In South Africa, the Vauxhall Belmont was called the Opel Monza. We didn't get the cooler coupe Monza.

Do you know where the car is located?