Forum 5

530D GT rear brake pad renewal and EGR recall

computor in car says that the rear brake pads are due for replacement in 1100miles, i am sure i have read in this forum the one before facebook that some owners had issues with the brake pads squeeling.and sometime the make of the pads is critical,anyone advise on this.

have recieved a recall letter from BMW about the EGR recall, but i had my EGR replaced by Williams BMW last year. so are they replacing them again.Tim

SAM_5405.JPG

Brakes only squeal when they need attention. The slide pins can seize which can cause uneven pad wear.

As long as everything is stripped down and cleaned and the lubricated correctly when its put back together, the brakes should give no real issues.

If you stick to a decent brand of pads then there shouldn't be a problem.  Genuine pads a Galfer, I'd never heard of them till my F10 ownership, but I've use Textar, ATE, Jurid, Pagid and febi as suppliers of brakes and have yet to have an issue with any of these manufacturers products.  Avoid cheap stuff is the golden rule.  When you replace the rear pads you must also replace the pad wear sensor so the idrive system can be reset.

@Munzy or @Percha, one of the wagon owners did a DIY guide on how to replace the rear brakes including putting the electronic parking brake into service mode to allow you to extract the old pads.

The EGR, I might have come across that there might have been some concern over poor quality replacements fitted previously under the recall. So they'll fit you another one to be sure.

6 hours ago, Andrew said:

@Munzy or @Percha, one of the wagon owners did a DIY guide on how to replace the rear brakes including putting the electronic parking brake into service mode to allow you to extract the old pads.

The GT has separate handbrake shoes and a mechanism that differs from the F11/F10, so the handbrake doesn’t need manipulating when changing the pads  

The rear brakes on your F07 will be more like my E60 rear brakes

DSCN0735.jpg

Conventional set up like a smaller version of your front brakes.

DSCN0739.jpg

Caliper and cradle comes away in the usual way as does the disc, but make sure the handbrake is released first.

DSCN0751.jpg

With the disc removed (using the Haynes manual caveat brake disc removed for clarity) you can see the handbrake shoes and adjuster.  The adjuster can be adjusted with a small screwdriver thru a wheel bolt hole to turn the adjuster to move the shoes.

DSCN0753.jpg

In my case the rear disc brakes were in need of attention but the handbrake shoes showed little wear as they are only applied when the car is stationary and used to secure it so it in theory should never wear as its never applied to a rotating drum (which is the inner part of the rear disc)

Thanks very mutch for excerlent pictures and info, i never realised that the handbrake was just like a normal drum brake set up,what has supprised me is that the onboard service info says the rear disc pads need replacing in 1100miles but the front disc pads are good for another 30000 miles, i have owned the car for 7years now and have never had to change the disc pads, i bought the car with 34000 miles on the clock at 3years old, car is now on 66000miles so dont no if these are the original pads. Tim 

yeah it’s old school handbrake shoes acting on a drum that is the inside of the bell on the rear disc. 

If you use cruise control lots, it will wear the rear pads out as it uses the rear brakes to slow down using cruise.

When you slow on the cruise you can feel it dip at the back as it brakes the rear wheels. 

I got 50k out of my front discs and pads and they were spent on removal.

I had rear pads fitted just before I bought it at 34k.