Forum 5

Sell it privately or give it back to BMW?

Dimsum

I’ve just ordered a new car (Non BMW) which should arrive in the next few weeks.

My 2015 535d luxury (102k miles) was bought used on a PCP deal which ends in February. 

My plan was to just hand the car back (Voluntary termination, which I’ve done before), but it strikes me that this car is too good to just hand it back and watch it head off to the BCA.

Does anyone think it would sell quickly here or elsewhere £9K would be an unbelievable bargain IMO and I’d rather it went to someone on here who would look after it that way I have. I would pay the finance off before the new owner bought it..

Virtually mint with full main dealer service history all its life and thousands spent recently in warranty work making if a bit like triggers broom. (In typical main dealer fashion, in order to trace a symptomless error on the iDrive which turned out to be a sensor, they replaced loads and loads of things to track the fault 🤦🏻‍♂️)I have posted the details on here previously. On top of that, it’s had the air con system replaced at the beginning of the year and only serviced a few thousand miles ago.

Or should I just hand it back? Take off the current 19 inch alloys, put the original 18’s back on and sell the wheels separately.. That would be the easiest thing to do..

Any thoughts? How long is it likely to take to sell in the current market?

IMG_0300.jpeg

20210330_185254_Original.jpeg

20240219_170810 Copy.jpeg

20220405_134506_Original.jpeg

20220405_134513_Original.jpeg

20220405_134525_Original.jpeg

20210330_185310.jpeg

Edited by Dimsum

Nice F10 you have there. The Luxury version is rare. I would sell with the 18"s, people will look at this over an M Sport for comfort rather than dynamics. Spec looks good with Comfort Seats. Anything else from the options list?

Car market is very subdued at present. Priced correctly though it should generate some interest.

GLWTS

Edited by E39mad

I actively despise selling privately. People are always twats/liars.  The only reason I sold my old 335d privately was because I was being offered 3k less to put it back into the trade, and 3k is not a small amount at 15k levels. Plus these days Autotrader is not cheap, and I found that was the only place people got in touch with me from.

if the difference was negligible I’d happily pass up having to field idiots on the phone and in the flesh, and then they always want more or give you hassle afterwards.

Not my experience at all. Have sold lots of cars privately - two BMW's in the last 15 months (F11 and E36) and every transaction has been pleasurable and without pain. No doubt some people can be a pain but say all are always twats/liars is tarring all with the same brush and simply untrue. 

9 minutes ago, E39mad said:

Not my experience at all. Have sold lots of cars privately - two BMW's in the last 15 months (F11 and E36) and every transaction has been pleasurable and without pain. 

I've had the same experience.  It's down to having the right car, with the right ad, in the right places.  If you're skilled enough at this, it's easy enough to filter out the idiots.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, E39mad said:

Not my experience at all. Have sold lots of cars privately - two BMW's in the last 15 months (F11 and E36) and every transaction has been pleasurable and without pain. No doubt some people can be a pain but say all are always twats/liars is tarring all with the same brush and simply untrue. 

How do you deal with the transactions running into thousands of pounds, do you take a cheque and keep the car until the funds are in your account, or cash?

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.

It’s well specked overall. DDC suspension, sports auto, ceramic controls, reverse camera, Harman Kardon sound system etc

I think the problem is that I don’t have much time to sell it and it doesn’t really benefit me financially to do so. I’m putting the 18’s back on tomorrow and I will definitely sell the 19’s separately. I paid £1100 quid for them only a few months ago so I should get some of that back at least!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Steve VH said:

How do you deal with the transactions running into thousands of pounds, do you take a cheque and keep the car until the funds are in your account, or cash?

With the E36 I took a deposit via Bank Transfer and took ID. Came back for the car 2 days later having paid the balance 24 hours prior.

With the F11 they paid for and took it at the same time. Bank transfer with ID. 

Each time I move the money straight out of that account and into another.