Forum 5

20 years owning my E60

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/09/2024 at 14:26, Changy said:

I have officially owned my E60 530d for twenty years as of today. 

To celebrate, some b@sturd stole the bonnet badge 🤬

they do tend to fall off, not being stolen.

Mine flew away when I was doing 130km/h on the autostrada 😁

10 minutes ago, Tallman85 said:

they do tend to fall off, not being stolen.

Mine flew away when I was doing 130km/h on the autostrada 😁

Yes, they do fall off, but I had CCTV of two little scrotums stealing it. Sadly, I couldn't see their angelic faces 🤬

34 minutes ago, Changy said:

Yes, they do fall off, but I had CCTV of two little scrotums stealing it. Sadly, I couldn't see their angelic faces 🤬

Needs posting on your local spotted group mate, parents will give em a right bollocking!

• Like 1

On 01/09/2024 at 13:26, Changy said:

That means you are only owner from car being brand new I presume. Quite impressive, not many one owner 20 years old cars around. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ray112 said:

That means you are only owner from car being brand new I presume. Quite impressive, not many one owner 20 years old cars around. 

Yes, I bought it brand new but it wasn't my first E60. I bought a 525d SE, but the turbo failed after six weeks. BMW replaced the turbo, and two weeks later, it failed again. I returned the car and asked for my money back. They ran around like headless chickens knowing I could have my money back, and then I played my Joker saying I would accept a new 530d SE with a higher specification. They huffed and puffed but eventually agreed. I had a free E60 for five months and then took ownership of my current car. 😃

Edited by Changy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

One other funny thing happened the first time the 525d failed. I was on holiday when the turbo failed so I had to limp to the nearest BMW stealer. That dealership fixed the car and I insisted it was returned on a trailer. The idiots that returned it decided to have a drive around for fun, but they left oil stains on the interior and oily fingerprints everywhere. I had to inspect the car before signing to accept it. I refused because of the stains, so the muppets had to take it back; to Pembrokeshire! 😆

On 01/09/2024 at 13:26, Changy said:

Wow. Well done mate, that's good going. I thought owing a car for 12yrs was a stretch, but clearly I'm an amateur 😂

Sorry for the badge loss. Could it have fallen by itself? - now I read the full. Thread I see my question has been already answered. Little Cnuts. 

Edited by Humour

It is nice to keep the car long…know all the history…etc.  I bought mine when it was 11 years old and although it is a two owner car, it wasnt kept as it should be.  Plus in the last 5 years i had it, as soon as it touched our shores, it is like the expiry date triggered.  All the rubbers and plastics are falling apart…which to be fair I expected better from bmw…much better.  Plus now at 16 years it is feeling the age.

My wife was given a company car - 2020 nissan leaf…and after driving the leaf, the bmw feels from the stone-age 😂 … the engine noise, the vibrations…etc.  i mean dont get me wrong the bmw quality of materials and interior is 1000% superior….but still feels old now.  The new gadgets are nice to have.  Apart from the fact that the nissan leaf seat does not offer leg tights  support -  which I hate, the technology and safety is great.  Imagine how a new 5’series would drive but i cannot afford that!! 

My old faithful 2003 E60 530d is 21 years old next month.  I have only owned it for eight of these and and it will be my last car. Every time I get it through mot I will say time to sell, but never do.  Just about to have new front springs fitted and apart from getting the gearbox done, it will be the biggest single layout in all that time. Bar the satnav, everything works and I still love the surge of power available when needed. 170k on the clock now and the upholstery and bodywork are still amazing.  There is no doubt that the invaluable advice available via this site and especially from Gonzo has contributed to it its longevity.

IMG_0638-EDIT.jpg

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, oldjohnny said:

My old faithful 2003 E60 530d is 21 years old next month.  I have only owned it for eight of these and and it will be my last car. Every time I get it through mot I will say time to sell, but never do.  Just about to have new front springs fitted and apart from getting the gearbox done, it will be the biggest single layout in all that time. Bar the satnav, everything works and I still love the surge of power available when needed. 170k on the clock now and the upholstery and bodywork are still amazing.  There is no doubt that the invaluable advice available via this site and especially from Gonzo has contributed to it its longevity.

IMG_0638-EDIT.jpg

True and i agree with help from forum and the all mighty Gonzo….but i miss the old forum.  I don’t know were the old folks have gone…. 😞 

• Like 1

The E39 is possibly* a 'nicer' car (opinions differ) but the E60 was far better built. I've never seen a rotten one. All the things that used to fail on the E39 such as the ABS module, dash pixels, cup holders, entire bloody cooling system etc seem to last indefinitely. 

I've had my E32 730i since 2003 as well, but it definitely wasn't new. 😂

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Tallman85 said:

True and i agree with help from forum and the all mighty Gonzo….but i miss the old forum.  I don’t know were the old folks have gone…. 😞 

After such an epic f-up and long downtime, they all left for facebook and the other group that I don't go in as it's a bit all over the place and full of international posts.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gonzo said:

After such an epic f-up and long downtime, they all left for facebook and the other group that I don't go in as it's a bit all over the place and full of international posts.

It was crazy how it went tits up; unbelievable that it was allowed to happen. Oh well, there is nothing we can do about it now. 

35 minutes ago, oldjohnny said:

There could be another simple explanation.  Many of them have croaked it. 

I doubt it, they were not happy with how things were handled. I have tried to drum up support but it's a struggle. There is a good atmosphere here, unlike a lot of other forums and Facebook groups. 

I'll be 61 soon, but I still enjoy working on the car. I'll admit I need a kick up the arse sometimes, but when I get stuck into a job, the time flies by. I'm not quick because of my injured shoulder, but there is no rush. 

I chat with @Gonzo during the repair work, often to have a bit of banter, but also to ensure I'm doing things correctly.

57 minutes ago, Changy said:

I doubt it, they were not happy with how things were handled. I have tried to drum up support but it's a struggle. There is a good atmosphere here, unlike a lot of other forums and Facebook groups. 

I'll be 61 soon, but I still enjoy working on the car. I'll admit I need a kick up the arse sometimes, but when I get stuck into a job, the time flies by. I'm not quick because of my injured shoulder, but there is no rush. 

I chat with @Gonzo during the repair work, often to have a bit of banter, but also to ensure I'm doing things correctly.

It's a good job you can deal with my sarcasm, I have enough of it 😅

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tallman85 said:

Well i think there is something we can do… if @Gonzo all mighty will post some links and invite folks from the Facebook forum,  that might increase the interest in this forum.   My opinion. 

Just posted the link to 40k people. Hope the server can cope, if it goes down, not my fkin problem 🫣

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Gonzo said:

It's a good job you can deal with my sarcasm, I have enough of it 😅

I'm pretty thick-skinned and I don't mind being told I'm a tw@t when I get it wrong! 🤪

I told you about a supposed mate, who knows I am in the shit but doesn't reply despite living 500 yards from me. I will take sarcasm and support rather than that. 

• Like 1