Forum 5

F10 N57 water pump, thermostat and crankshaft pulley

I've a spreadsheet to track everything. I'm £3,019 down in 2.5 years on repairs and preventative maintenance only including some garage labour. About a third of that was all suspension related. 

My lovely money pit, but I will see her through 😂 It would be astronomically more had I not DIY resealed both headlights mind you...

The way I see it, I should be ok for plenty more miles (so he says) and I'd rather drive an older premium car than lose 5x fold on depreciation with a newer version that's marginally better. 

Plus I get to be hands on and learn a tonne of stuff about cars in general 😉 

Edited by RH27
  • Like 2

I haven't totted it up recently but I'm fairly certain I've spent about £5,000 on keeping the 530d in tip-top condition.

Roll on November when it goes to the body shop for a new front bumper with paint and fitting (Also single which is how I get away with this) 😄

• Haha 1

I couldn't honestly tell you what I've spent on mine.

I can tell you what I have bought from my maintenance log. Front brakes, four complete struts, front lower suspension arms, front wheel bearings and brake splash shields, OFHG, water pump and thermostat, door handle, wing mirror glass, FEAD, rarb overhaul.

Parts still to fit that I have in my garage. Transmission service kit, cylinder head cover gasket, diff bushes, rear ball joints, rear integral links, ignition coils. Plus enough oil and filters for two more services.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

I can tell you to the penny. When sold I will know actual cost / mile all in. 

it’s about £1.85 at present but that doesn’t factor selling it, insurance/ tax rebate etc

Holy... 

My next car is a golf GTi performance pack, I decided this last year 😂

For now and the next couple years at least, I'll stick with the 530d. 

49 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

I tell a lie its £1.77 but longer i keep it the lower that will get as i tend to spend when i get a car then its just normal servicing.

(Edit: I forgot diesel cost lol oops. I'll use 1.50/litre as an average)

You've prompted me to calculate mine. 

In 29 months and 16k miles I've averaged £1.12 per mile assuming the cars residual value is 0.

Otherwise, it's 0.94p per mile assuming today's autotrader price for the car. 

This should lower over the next couple years. Most of not all of the stuff that will go wrong has done at this age and mileage. 

Conveniently did 190 miles for work today. It looks like I see minimum profits or none at all on claiming expenses for 45p per mile 😂

(750ved, 2700 insurance, 3019 repairs, 2700 fuel, MOT about 120 and 3800 in depreciation... Total say £13,000).   

Have I miscalculated? Or why is yours so much higher? 

Edited by RH27

Purchase price i suspect maybe higher that and ive fitted a new rack, refurbed wheels, painted bumpers and various suspension bits.

Ive not factored depreciation as that will come in when i sell and see what it achieves so at present thats the cost of the car assuming its worth nothing

But thats fuel too so literally all costs to the penny.

If i get the price i'm after it should be under 90p - ive spent more than i should but there you go.

• Like 1

There's no work miles claimed in that as it goes, i've not logged thats but thats every screenwash fill up, screw and bolt etc.

I have some parts to sell i haven't used too which will be factored in.

Yes i'm wild at parties 🤪

• Haha 1

On 04/09/2024 at 18:53, RH27 said:

I've a spreadsheet to track everything. I'm £3,019 down in 2.5 years on repairs and preventative maintenance only including some garage labour. About a third of that was all suspension related. 

My lovely money pit, but I will see her through 😂 It would be astronomically more had I not DIY resealed both headlights mind you...

The way I see it, I should be ok for plenty more miles (so he says) and I'd rather drive an older premium car than lose 5x fold on depreciation with a newer version that's marginally better. 

Plus I get to be hands on and learn a tonne of stuff about cars in general 😉 

Since October 2022 the money pit has done 16k and needed

Timing chain, clutch kit, recon gearbox and turbo

Also done 2 services, engine and gearbox mounts, wheel refurb, 2 tyres, rear brakes, rear window and spoiler.

In total £3803 on parts with all repairs completed by myself, except for the wheels and tyres.

Mot and oil change in November providing nothing else is needed

I agree with next car being a golf, but I think the R will be my preferred choice 😁

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update on this today.

Most of the work is done. Delayed massively as the egr bolts don't budge with a wrench. I may need to borrow a relatives impact wrench for future jobs. 

Watch this video, do I need a new anti roll bar? Also, is that some sort of worn gasket. Not sure of the area, it's the lower engine that houses the crankshaft.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ckPV1PE4gz5pjnHX8

Edited by RH27

9 minutes ago, Steve84N said:

My ARB is worse than that, at some point I'll replace it. The bulge is just the protective coating coming away. It hangs unusually low so gets hit with road debris and corrodes. My rear has the same problem but not quite as bad. 

Thanks for the insight. Meyle ARB with bushings and both drop links are about £200 as a set. I'll put it on the back burner in that case, plenty of other things that can go towards at 13 years old I suppose. 

• Like 1

The roll bar at that location tapers in cross section. Yours is rusting on that tapering section and the rust jacking has made it look much much worse than it is.

Mine is in worse condition and I'm leaving mine at the moment.

You want to check where those oil leaks are coming from. Possibly an intercooler hose/joint and something else too, lot of oil over a plastic casing of some description. There is also oil coming down the side of the block too. 

• Thanks 1

It's worth noting I had the rocker cover gasket plus rocker cover done about 4 or 5  months ago. ~2,000 miles of driving. 

Back left of the engine, the usual spot. I suspect the oil on the side of the engine block is related to that? 

Could it be that?

From the video, the turbo is pretty much directly on top of where the oil stains are.

Either way, I need to do engine covers back up tomorrow so I'll give everything a wipe down and then check back when I'm next under the car.

@Andrew

Edited by RH27
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Give it a clean with brake cleaner. It will remove oil quite effectively. 

Yup, bought my first ever can earlier to sort out the oil filter housing and it's magic stuff. Anyhow, what a messy job that was. Completey forgot to put rags down beneath it. I had a fun time wiping everything up on the subframe. 

Sidenote, I didn't change the O ring in the cooler. The kit I bought pictured it but it must have either not come or I misplaced it. I hope it's not a problem in the future.