Forum 5

F10 N57 water pump, thermostat and crankshaft pulley

Hi all,

Finally getting around to addressing my slow coolant leak I've had. I'm now losing 1litre every 2-3k miles. I'm avoiding using it for long journeys with others where possible to avoid breakdown recovery or I've been risking it when alone.

I'm hoping it isn't the coolant flange under the intake manifold as it's a bit of work getting to it. Or could it be the EGR? Where should I look for signs of leaking with my torch as I don't have a pressure kit.

Anyhow, I've ordered a new water pump, thermostat plus housing and bolts in a kit, 7 rib belt, tensioner pulley and idle pulleys. 

This is a picture of my thermostat housing below. It's no doubt the original one from when it was new in 2011. Some sign of rust here which tells me the seals are probably knackered and it's been slowly leaking. It's definitely on its way out right? Either way, I'm on 128k now and will be changing it.  

(Edit: went for 20 minutes drive into town and back just now, no drops on the engine tray covers from under water pump either) 

20240830_124417.thumb.jpg.f2a49730c6ab632d81b01c74e7a3a0f9.jpg

Secondly, I managed to snag a good picture of my crankshaft pulley. Some fine cracks have developed on the outer part. I assume I should I think about replacing this as well? If so, how urgent is it? 

20240830_124046.thumb.jpg.a65663d778a17825aaa18bc352517da7.jpg

Edited by RH27

4 hours ago, RH27 said:

Secondly, I managed to snag a good picture of my crankshaft pulley. Some fine cracks have developed on the outer part. I assume I should I think about replacing this as well? If so, how urgent is it? 

It's definitely time to get that done. Mine fell off at about 150k miles.

I replaced it with a Febi part which is still holding up fine 30k miles later.

• Thanks 1

If you are in the Central belt of Scotland, I have a pressure tester. I’m based in Renfrewshire but work in East Kilbride.

The blue staining on whatever that is, is a sign of a leak. 

Get some LC87 coolant too. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks @mullinsj08 I know it's a common failure of the N57 and usually by 150k they need doing, so I'll order the part in too. I'll get my mechanic to fit that as I don't have a crankshaft lock or anything to hold it whilst applying the correct torque, unless you guys have any tips? 

Thanks @Andrew the part you're looking at is the thermostat housing connecting to the radiator I believe (big tube). I'll wait until the parts arrive and fit them next weekend hopefully and then continue to monitor coolant levels. I'm in east midlands England, no way near Scotland haha but thanks for the offer. 

Edited by RH27

Is the damper not held on by lots of smaller bolts rather than the main crank bolt? Should be enough friction/compression resistance to allow you to undo/tighten a small bolt as they are sub 50Nm torque usually. 

On second thoughts as your chain is at the flywheel end, there might be just one bolt at the front of the engine.

Get your phone down the gap and take a picture of the crank pulley or check on realoem 

Just now, RH27 said:

Almost 100% sure it's 4 smaller bolts as per several YouTube videos I've seen. @Andrew

Should be able to undo these without holding crank. Sharp shock with a ratchet will sort them out. 

Is that on the EGR cooling pipe. Looks like a metal pipe with a flange fitted to the pipe that then bolts to the block or head?

With your age and mileage and especially if it’s a keeper, it’s worth doing a few jobs on the cooling system at the same time, like hoses, pumps and ‘stats. 

One bit of advice….

When unclipping the locking clips at the joints on the rubber hoses, go very carefully and take great care not to let one ping out and disappear for ever despite ricocheting off numerous bits of engine. This means the hose won’t go back on or rather stay on its fitting and as the clips aren’t available separately, a new hose is required…..Not that this happened to me just very recently….🫣

Posted (edited)

It's this part here - the coolant flange.

Just above it is the EGR cooler. I cannot make out if that is also leaking from that bottom right corner, or if it's just spray from the coolant flange below it. I have looked on RealOEM and there is a seal for that here. I will order it anyway as it's cheap, plus I will need to remove my entire EGR as one unit for better access due to some corroded bolts on the EGR line that connects from EGR to manifold intake. You can see the corroded bolts in picture number 1 of the original post at the top of the image out of focus... The orange mess. 

I will be doing the thermostat and pump yes, both ordered. I haven't thought about coolant pipes. Any ones in particular?

Noted regarding the clips! I'll tie some string around them before prying lol. @Andrew

Edited by RH27

Posted (edited)

Update: I've just made an order from car parts in motion via their eBay store. The bolts and gaskets are from other sellers. An expensive start to the weekend for me but they were giving 10% off plus it's almost impossible to beat their prices so it is what it is. I'm looking forward to getting these new goodies installed hopefully in two weeks time when I have a free weekend.

1. Febi Water pump - 11518516435 
  2. Febi thermostat, housing and bolts - 11517805192 
  3. INA tensioner - 11287800334 
  4. Febi deflection pulley - 11287556251 
  5. Febi deflection pulley 2 - 11287800562 
  6. Gates V belt - 7PDK - 11288477788
  7. Febi Crankshaft pulley - 11237800026 
  8. Febi Crankshaft seal - 11117802665 
  9. Crankshaft bolts x4 - 11238585220 
  10. Febi Coolant flange front engine - 11117800048 
  11. EGR steel gasket - 11717795465
  12. EGR O ring - 11717794785
Edited by RH27

With that video you’ll make a great YouTuber @RH27. I thought about doing my water pump as a video but it would be full of ummm, errrr and words not allowed on YouTube plus @duncan-uk wouldn’t have understood a word I said. 

I think you’ve got all the critical components sorted. Anything that is plastic or has a gasket in your cooling system, get it replaced especially if it bolts to the head or block.  It’s been over 6 years since I had my head in a 530d engine bay so I’m looking at realoem. 

Without wanting to spend more of your money, check other things which require a drain down of the cooling system to sort such as the oil cooler gaskets, they leak. 

It’d also be worth flushing out the system with a hose when you have it taken to bits.  If you do flush it, there may still be water in the system so add the correct volume of neat coolant then top up with water. It’s a 50/50 mix of LC87 antifreeze/water. I would imagine you have a minimum of 10 litres of coolant possibly nearer 12 in the oil burner. 

Are you DIY? 

14 minutes ago, Steve84N said:

Your auxiliary belt is on upside down! The ribs should be on the alternator pulley, not the smooth side.

Poor show @Andrew not spotting that one... 😅

You know I saw that and was going to say something but I accidentally deleted my text before posting late last night. 

As I couldn’t bring myself to re type it all back out last night I looked at YouTube and found other F10 N57 with the belt routed same way. 

Yes it’s ’wrong’ compared to our N55 but I think it’s right for the N57 bizarrely….

See this screen shot @Steve84N

IMG-7052.jpg

Shamelessly stolen from here  

Although this means the smooth side of the belt is on the ribbed crank pulley but it would appear correct for the air con pump it’s driving. 

Must be a diesel thing….. lost on me…

How do I flush out with a hose?

I was planning to just remove the coolant hose to radiator and then unplug the small pipe to drain, refill, repeat until clear. Then a final fill of fresh coolant.  

@Andrew

NewTIS says to install the “flocked” side of the belt inside.

Yeah cos flocked is the description I’d use. Why not say something simple like smooth or ribbed side….

2 minutes ago, RH27 said:

How do I flush out with a hose?

I was planning to just remove the coolant hose to radiator and then unplug the small pipe to drain, refill, repeat until clear. Then a final fill of fresh coolant.  

@Andrew

Take coolant hose off radiator or block etc then stick garden hose in the radiator or block or in the coolant hose. 

IMG_6695.jpg

or if you’ve removed parts 

IMG_6578.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

See this screen shot @Steve84N

Although this means the smooth side of the belt is on the ribbed crank pulley but it would appear correct for the air con pump it’s driving. 

Must be a diesel thing….. lost on me…

So the whole thing is back to front just to drive the AC the right way. How bizarre.

1 hour ago, Steve84N said:

So the whole thing is back to front just to drive the AC the right way. How bizarre.

Pretty much.Lol as I said, must be a diesel thing which is why I don’t understand it. 🤪

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, RH27 said:

Is this just to flush the radiator  of sediments etc.? Or does this flush entire system? @Andrew

Depends where you stick the hose abs where water can runout from. Mine ran clear which was a relief.