Forum 5

Any tips on pushing charge air line onto throttle body with new seal?

My 2005 520d (e61) has the M47 engine, and the charge air pipe between the intercooler and throttle body is sealed with the common X profile seals (11617790547) at either end.

Mine is leaking where it joins to the throttle body, the original seal is compressed and worn and goes on very easy but I cannot get the pipe onto the throttle body with a new seal no matter how hard I try. When I push it on, it folds the seal and gets stuck. Even if I did manage to get it on, I'm sure the seal would be twisted or folded over. 

Any special tricks for this one? I've got a genuine BMW seal on the way just in case my aftermarket one is the problem. 

20240826_080539.jpg

Is the new seal sitting correctly within the charge air pipe recess?

When I replaced my intercooler seals, one seal was twisted as I removed it, had it always been twisted I wonder? 

IMG-2390.jpg

The new seals were a right pain to get sitting in the recess properly, however once sat properly it went together o.k.

• Like 1

IDK how different the M47 charge pipe is to the N47 but I didn't face massive issues refitting. 

I made sure that the seals are fully seated in the channel they are supposed to sit in, that was the most involved part.

I did all the seals from turbo outlet to manifold inlet, 4 or 5 in total iirc. I dont recall lubing the seals. 

The trick I think was to make sure the clip/clamp part is fully retracted and keeping it that way, that's probably what's stopping it fully seating. Don't be afraid to put some force into the pipe as you look to push it all the way in. 

• Like 2

The green seal seems to be improperly seated in the recess, as indicated by the highlighted area in your photo. It might appear misaligned due to oil, but it's advisable to check it. In my experience with M57s, I encountered a similar issue with the lower connection where the seal was not seated properly. I resolved it by removing the seal, cleaning it thoroughly, and then reseating it in the cleaned recess.

HTH

Changy

Charge pipe seal.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 29/08/2024 at 11:50, Changy said:

The green seal seems to be improperly seated in the recess, as indicated by the highlighted area in your photo. It might appear misaligned due to oil, but it's advisable to check it. In my experience with M57s, I encountered a similar issue with the lower connection where the seal was not seated properly. I resolved it by removing the seal, cleaning it thoroughly, and then reseating it in the cleaned recess.

HTH

Changy

Charge pipe seal.jpg

Thanks for the help everyone! That photo is after trying to push it on, it was properly seated prior, it got mangled every time I tried to push on. 

The solution was to use a genuine BMW seal. It went on effortlessly. Both the size, profile and material seemed subtly different to the off brand seal. 

The aftermarket seals seem to do a good job at the intercooler end where they go on with a bit of effort. 

20240831_111725.jpg

20240831_111743.jpg

Edited by SpannerHands
more info
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Gonzo said:

Ahh the old aftermarket don't fit routine, hence why I only fit genuine 🙂

You'd think I'd have learn my lesson after the 10th time! My excuse is that the aftermarket seal has been on my parts shelf since before I learnt my lesson 😁

• Haha 2