Forum 5

Tyres run flat or not and which brand to fit

Following on from my shuddering issue which I have not yet resolved I will need 2 new front tyres imminently.

i have run flat tyres, should I change to non run flats would i have to change the rear to non flats at the same time?

are there any amendments that need to be made to change to non run flat and is it worth the risk?

which brand tyres do you recommend?

Spend money on tyres, don’t save it 

Safety critical bit of kit.

Look thru the ratings for “A” in wet braking. It’s the one you want to have.

For me to get A rating in wet braking in my size and spec it was Michelin Primacy 3. 

It rolled off the factory with Michelins.

As said above it’s personal choice. 

I went eagle f1 none rft. I live in Hampshire, if I was a lot more north I’d probably fit cross climate or equivalent.

you can do the fronts first then the rears as long as not mixing across axle. I just had them all changed.

and lastly, imho avoid Pirelli.

13 hours ago, skyjawa said:

and lastly, imho avoid Pirelli.

Why?

They are a premium brand? 

I’ve only ever had issues with cheap tyres. When I bought my E39 the selling garage as part of its MOT stuck Verdestein tyres which lasted less than 10k. 

F10 had Nexens fitted prior to my purchase which cracked really badly at only 18 months old and unnerved me so I scrapped them 

image.jpg

Decent car warrants decent tyres. 

27 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Why?

They are a premium brand? 

The other premium brands are better. Pirelli are poor in the wet and cold compared to Michelin and Goodyear. Pirelli also wear out quite quickly. 

• Like 1

Have to admit, I had pirelli on my Granada back in my BAOR days... awesome grip when new, but really didn't last that long.

Granted tyre technology has come a long way since, but I believe pirelli still have that same 'problem' with not lasting as long as other premium brands.

That said, I had BF Goodrich on my 3.2 Vectra... not for long... amazing grip initially but 13-14 months later they weren't far off illegal.

Edited by HandyAndy

Pirelli are crap next to Goodyear and Michelin imho. Tyre Reviews never place them that well.
Also, as detailed in the other thread, the Pirelli Cincurato that came on my replacement wheels failed epically at being a run flat, may as well just have had a normal tyre anyway. This is not the experience I’ve had with other run flats (Bridgestone/goodyear)

wifes Tiguan came on Hankook Safeseal, had no idea they had a nail in them because they just carried on as normal. That said their sidewall condition at just 5 years old is terrible (very badly cracked)

Edited by skyjawa
  • Like 1