Forum 5

Fault codes any advice

It’s been a couple of years since I replaced all 6 glow plugs and the controller and around 30k miles.

However today I run Ista and got the following issues.

Is it another set of glow plugs or more likely the controller even though cylinders 4&5 aren’t coming up?

im keen to sort in case of any regen issues.

God knows on the steering one but the steering wheel warning is on.

IMG_2212.jpeg

Quite a few are due to the clip on the back of the plug not being seated, multiplug off, a quick blast of contact cleaner or wd40 to lube it, let it dry off for a min then plug back in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Gonzo said:

Quite a few are due to the clip on the back of the plug not being seated, multiplug off, a quick blast of contact cleaner or wd40 to lube it, let it dry off for a min then plug back in.

Is that on the glow plug module?

The steering one does it need you to sit still and go full left to right then drive is there a specific sequence?

I don't know if it relates across engines, but when I replaced my glow plugs and module (N47 4 cyl), all the glow plugs were still working well and provided the correct values with a multimetre when tested and a direct wire I to a battery as a secondary test had them all light up instantly. 

I'm 99.9% sure they were original. on 141K at the time of replacement. 

Massive PITA to remove, I almost gave up twice despite following Go zos advice to the letter but even when hot, the 28Nm breakaway torque was often breached to remove them. They started off fine but got tight and were a proper fight. 

Moral of the story, if replacing anything start with the module, then reassess with ISTA and only pull them if you have dead plugs. 

On 28/08/2024 at 18:28, Humour said:

I don't know if it relates across engines, but when I replaced my glow plugs and module (N47 4 cyl), all the glow plugs were still working well and provided the correct values with a multimetre when tested and a direct wire I to a battery as a secondary test had them all light up instantly. 

I'm 99.9% sure they were original. on 141K at the time of replacement. 

Massive PITA to remove, I almost gave up twice despite following Go zos advice to the letter but even when hot, the 28Nm breakaway torque was often breached to remove them. They started off fine but got tight and were a proper fight. 

Moral of the story, if replacing anything start with the module, then reassess with ISTA and only pull them if you have dead plugs. 

I've stopped doing N47 glow plugs now, seems the age of the engines and you risk them stripping or snapping, last one snapped, it wasn't on me as I warn no liability if they want me to do it but just can't be arsed with the risk involved, M47/57 play ball unless changed by someone who doesn't understand what 13nm of torque is previously.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Mpgscott said:

I did try resetting the glow plug module connections but still got three showing.

As suggested I will replace the module and see.

Thanks

With the caps off you can do a resistance check to the engine of each plug, start with that mate, will give you a definitive on the plug being farked.

10 hours ago, Gonzo said:

With the caps off you can do a resistance check to the engine of each plug, start with that mate, will give you a definitive on the plug being farked.

Will do thanks, what’s the resistance typically around 350ohms is it?

On 05/09/2024 at 08:37, Gonzo said:

I don't know, I usually have a new one in my hand to reference before starting, beep tests a good start though.

Sounds good, will give it a go.  I bought a second hand module to try also at least it’s genuine so will see.

On 06/09/2024 at 09:28, Mpgscott said:

Sounds good, will give it a go.  I bought a second hand module to try also at least it’s genuine so will see.

Bear in mind you have no guarantee that the used module is sound. No breaker will scan the car for you to check the car it came from wasn't also throwing the same error. It's a 50/50 gamble Imo. 

I just bought new on that, it was sub 100 from those dodgy Latvian fukkers in Germany > Autodoc. 

• Haha 1