Forum 5

A question for fans of all cars - not just Bavarians

I found myself wondering if there exists such a thing as a book covering all the winners of the European Car of the Year over the years?  If not, might there be a video?

I have been unable to find either.

2 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

There’s three volumes, or will be 

Ah! Ok that’s better. So £40 x 3.

i really fancy the Steve Saxty BMW books. I have one of his books about the Capri - but I just can’t justify the expense of his BMW collection, good as it may be. 

I don’t know those. I’ve actually had a cull of my motoring books. Realised they just took up space and some I’d never read. 

Plenty of architecture books too but that’s what I do so should probably stay 😂

but that’s why the modernist volumes appealed  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

Plenty of architecture books too but that’s what I do so should probably stay 😂

You mean your collection of colouring in books?  And how to sharpen various types of Pencils?

I’ve just got rid of most of my Jeremy Clarkston books to make space for more train books, the last one being about the Derby Sulzer type 4s. Twin bank 6 cylinder diesels to give 12 cylinders and 2500bhp from well under 1000rpm. Proper job. 

Only car book I own is one on British Leyland which I bought to remind myself of cars I saw as a kid but have been mostly washing machines for the last 35-40 years. Good read and a trip down memory lane. 

16 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

you might look at this. Possibly not what you want exactly but looks a nice set of books. Not cheap at £40/ volume but still.

https://the-modernist.org/products/a-time-a-place

So - I bought this one. If it’s got enough detail about the cars, I’ll buy the other two when they come along. 

On 25/08/2024 at 12:47, duncan-uk said:

I will await your review 👍

The book arrived yesterday.  It's a paperback, but the cover, binding and general quality is very good.  It's content will be the deciding factor regarding whether or not it is worth its not inconsiderable purchase price, but so far the signs are good.  More is written about the architecture of the buildings than the cars I think, but it should be interesting.

For my sins, and after thinking about it for months, I decided as a BMW man to invest in Steve Saxty's book set 'BMW - Behind the Scenes.  Eye wateringly expensive at £227.50, but you can buy the single book 'BMW by Design' for £75.81 if you don't want the 3 book boxed set.  The books are reviewed by Jeff Heywood in the BMW Club magazine 'Straight Six', and he seemed very taken with the books.  One of the reasons I finally decided to purchase was that I had purchased another of Steve's books, 'The cars you always promised yourself', and found it to be a great read.

Details if anyone wants a look :  https://www.stevesaxty.com/?currency=GBP

• 2 weeks later...