Forum 5

Sign the Petition to force the government to review Car Insurance in this country!

It doesn't make them discuss it. It means at 100k they (potentially) review if it's a topic that should be discussed in Parliament. 

And then you need to ask, what is it of the Government business to intervene in a privately owned business (eg not nationalised)? Where does it stop? 

I'd much rather they sort out the Utility Companies & Transport first......

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, dj123 said:

It doesn't make them discuss it. It means at 100k they (potentially) review if it's a topic that should be discussed in Parliament. 

And then you need to ask, what is it of the Government business to intervene in a privately owned business (eg not nationalised)? Where does it stop? 

I'd much rather they sort out the Utility Companies & Transport first......

@dj123 We are getting had by both industries. No arguments from me. The cost of electricity being pegged to the cost of Gas nowadays is so outdated but it's the rule and they are profiting massively from it. 

However insurance is required by law. The government make the rules that these businesses are supposed to abide by. The cost of insurance is astronomical for most these days and that's as a consequence of the whole industry and supporting industries taking advantage at our expense. They profit massively and we pick up the bill. It's like the bankers, everyone is on our tit and suckling good. 

Some people are paying more to insure a car for a year than utilities bills for a year. It's ridiculous.

Both need fixing. Not doing anything isn't going to help. 

Edited by Humour

The cost of insurance going up is also related to the cost of new vehicles being more expensive to replace & repair. Your average family Hatchback these days is 30K! 

A brand new Vauxhall Corsa today is 18.5K. In 2012 the cost was 12.7K. An increase of 50% in 12 years on a small entry level hatchback. Upscale this to the BMW's on the Forum and you'll see an even bigger increase. 

Tie all this into an industry where replace not repair is becoming more the practice model and it'll continue to increase. The premium we as the consumer pay is a very small part of the pie. How the industry works the costs being passed on is how you reduce it. 

I'm not saying insurance is cheap, or i haven't seen my own premiums rise this year. But, i know any Government won't get involved and do anything to make it cheaper. 

https://www.vauxhall.co.uk/content/dam/vauxhall/Home/PDFs/Cars/corsa/price-guides/VB4588_015_Corsa_Spec_PG_3_December_2012-1354529538.pdf

There are 2 reasons our car insurance is going up. 

Car manufactures knowing selling cars especially high end that are easy to steel and not doing anything about it. (Keyless theft)

and

The high amount of electric vehicles being written off because repairers are refusing to guarantee damage to batteries and the cost of replacing batteries is more than the value of the car. This mean the insurance companies are putting up the cost of ICE premiums to spread the cost

1 hour ago, Stressed said:

Car manufactures knowing selling cars especially high end that are easy to steel and not doing anything about it. (Keyless theft)

and

The high amount of electric vehicles being written off because repairers are refusing to guarantee damage to batteries and the cost of replacing batteries is more than the value of the car. This mean the insurance companies are putting up the cost of ICE premiums to spread the cost

THIS!

2 hours ago, Stressed said:

and

I would add the cost of the uninsured drivers to that. There are tens of thousands of them who do not insure because they cannot afford it, are banned or the car doesn't have a valid MOT. The insurance companies pay out for all these uninsured drivers when the have an accident.