Forum 5

10000 miles in our G31

It's now 10 months and 10000 miles into our ownership of our 520d M Sport LCI. Car is on 33000 miles in total and recently turned four years old.

Absolutely no issues to report failure/repair wise. The average MPG since ownership is an impressive 57mpg - the old F11 520d was at 43mpg. 

A quiet August leads to more long distance journeys in September with Wales, Northumberland and then taking daughter back to Uni in Portsmouth. We have also booked to drive down to Southern Spain in January to get out of the British winter for 6 weeks.

Best features of the car are: Driving Assistant Professional where the radar cruise control can take the heat pain out of motorway jams, this mode can be "upgraded" to steering assistance whereby the car stays in the lane with input on the wheel (just a touch) about every ten seconds or so. The 360 degree cameras - it's a big car and these are superb when parking, reversing or on the motorway where they blind spot monitor with warning triangles in the rear view mirrors that light up only when a vehicle is there. The Android Auto for Waze and Goggle Maps works superbly and finally the Head Up Display which I now would not be without.

The first MOT is due in October when the AUC warranty expires so it will go back to BMW beforehand and then the decision whether to extend the warranty or not.

Overall an absolutely brilliant car - well recommended. 

G31 Machermore Castle.jpg

• Like 1

I enjoy those features you mention on my G32 too and wouldn't be without them and I have the lane keep assist but never use it, I don't like that it places the car in the middle of the lane, and it does fight me when on a motorway and there is an offramp that I don't want to take.

I'm 6 years into ownership of my 7-year-old car and have never had an extended warranty. Outside the original manufacturer 3-year warranty, I've replaced my offside outer taillight as the indicator LED failed and I've replaced the Vanos actuators on the B58 engine due to a slight hesitation or "bucking" when the engine was under a slight constant load. Nothing else (touch wood)!

• Like 1

I've never done extended warranty before. This cars more technical features have me at a slight quandary as to whether to go for one. I'm sure the cameras alone are a small fortune if they go wrong. Having said that like your G32 there have been very little reliability issues known with the G30(1) (2) series cars even though now they are coming up for 8 years of age since launch.