Forum 5

Scanners - recommendations/observations

I'm sure this could be contentious...

So for those of you with or experience of, thoughts?

So I've seen Foxwell, 310, 510, 530, etc.

So I'm interested in something useful, that would include battery registration, brake bleeding, pump priming, etc.

Or other brands? I don't want to waste money on $20 junk, but don't need a $1000 'pro' scanner (didn't say didn't want one....oohhh shiny and electronic....boy toy🤣🤣🤣).

Also, ideally without any subscription fees.

• 2 weeks later...

A vote for the Foxwell NT530.

I got mine with a token to let me download the BMW software on it. Because I had to down load the software rather than having it preloaded it was much cheaper, just over £100 back in December 2019. This was a one off fee, no subs. I can also buy other manufacturers software to upload to it. It can read EOBD codes on other makes and I've used to check and fix an EML on my wifes Kuga, but it can't read its ABS module for example

It has now paid for itself many many times over.

Helping me diagnose a misfire, parking brake faults and just recently a failing water pump. I've used it to cycle the ABS pump on brake bleeding and reset service intervals although the dash buttons are quicker!

I regularly scan for trouble codes and use it to read live engine data to ensure all is well.

I plan to use it to purge the autobox when I change the fluid. It can do that.

It can register and code replacement batteries, I've used it to gauge my battery health too as it records its charge levels over the last few days or so.

Bearing in mind BMW will want around £150 to diagnose your car with their software, it will easily pay for itself.

Other garages will charge a standard fee of 1 hours labour to break out their scan tool so even two trips to your trusted local indy and it will have paid for itself.

I've just ordered an NT710, from Ebay, which is supposedly an update to the NT530.

I figure it's worth a punt, if I decide to DIY a battery replacement ( no need for 3rd party to code), or swap the rear air bags (use software to deflate, instead of pulling fuses, etc.). I'll have to hide it though, as the wife will go mad, but as it'll arrive whilst she's away on holiday, I'll probably get away with it🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• 2 weeks later...