Forum 5

Drivers Door Central Locking Not Working

Dear all,

Today my driver's central locking is not working any more.  Mechanically it works etc...but both from remote and button it will not move.  All the other work except this one.  What could be wrong?  any way to test?  I guess fuses are fine as otherwise none of them will work right?  And on ISTA no errors at all! 

@Gonzo - give me the bad news mate....

Thank you

You can buy kits to repair them. I just replaced mine when it went with a used oem one. Think they can be tricky to access on other models but the access is quite good on the e60 once you have the door card off.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bmwsmx said:

You can buy kits to repair them. I just replaced mine when it went with a used oem one. Think they can be tricky to access on other models but the access is quite good on the e60 once you have the door card off.

Thank you.

i see that the plastic gear usually breaks…not sure about mine as I hasn’t opened it yet

Just sorted a guy out with a used genuine today as his died, he then bought a "NEW QUALITY PART 2 YEAR WARRANTY" lump of shite off eBay that set the alarm off every 5 minutes. He just messaged to say it's working with my genuine part

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Gonzo said:

Just sorted a guy out with a used genuine today as his died, he then bought a "NEW QUALITY PART 2 YEAR WARRANTY" lump of shite off eBay that set the alarm off every 5 minutes. He just messaged to say it's working with my genuine part

Hi @Gonzo - shall i open or source a second hand?  As if it is the gear it should make a movement or a noise?  Mine is dead all of a sudden without warnings…never had issues with it.  I hate to take the panel out again…

Not sure how popular it is with e60 /61, but can it be broken wire in door hinge wiring loom? That could snap suddenly without any signs of failure, and since similar scenario is happening with boot lid wiring near hinges, might be worth a check. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Ray112 said:

Not sure how popular it is with e60 /61, but can it be broken wire in door hinge wiring loom? That could snap suddenly without any signs of failure, and since similar scenario is happening with boot lid wiring near hinges, might be worth a check. 

I was about to suggest this

• Like 2

Some further observation with the panel out…the lock is actually ticking when pressing the central lock button…so i did measure some voltages too, so i am excluding the wiring.  The fact that it is ticking in think that the lock is the problem.  So…probably a good idea to look for a second hand one?? Or new?? 

The problem is that when i search by part number 51 21 7 202 144   it shows me a lot of different BMW models that fits on [Ebay], however, some are with 5 pins and some are with 7 pins.  My plug is with 7 wires, however, I did not look at the lock damn it and I closed it off so that I could use the car. 

Yes I am going OEM second hand and I am not planning to keep the car for longer [I think], it just does not make sense anymore to keep it, spending a lot on it and things keep going wrong no matter how much I take care of it.  It is 16 years old, and these cars were not built to last that long - I know cos I worked in the automotive industry.  It needs a new headliner, it has a big oil leak now probably the sump, it needs all front arms, wishbones..etc at the front...that alone will cost min £1,500 to do all properly.  

• 2 weeks later...

Today I replaced the lock second hand from Lithuania ebay … €38 …working well now.  It was a very straightforward job as usually its always a pain to replace something.

how long will it last is another story!

• Like 1