Forum 5

F10 Dim Angel eye - only on one side

Hi all,

I have just bought an F10 535i 2011 with standard xenons.

My passenger side angel eye is dim.

It looks like the brighter 'DRL' function isn't working, as when I switch to sidelights, both angel eyes are the same brightness, but standard daytime DRL or Auto settings, highlights the issue, the drivers side angel eyes become much brighter.

Am I right in suspecting the TMS module may be at fault as first port of call to check/replace? (It probably isn't the bulbs themselves, as there are two bulbs per headlight unit, so that would be too much of a coincidence for both to be dim?)

Thanks

Joe

Nice choice of car and welcome to the twin single tails club. 

It might be the module but it might also be the LED unit itself.

Have you any faults up on the dash? Have you means to read fault codes? 

Remove the wheel and remove the TMS module and see if any water comes out. 

• Like 1

Everything relating to working on Xenon headlights can be found in this post such as removing TMS modules and LED units 

There are also more links within the above post for more info 

• Like 1

Thank You, after 20+ years of six cylinder diesels, it's so nice to have a smooth petrol engine again!

Good point, I forgot to mention there are no codes or errors unfortunately.

I think I will start with the easiest option first, which will be the TMS module. If that doesn't work, it looks like it's headlight out time and new LED's.

Standard diagnostic... Swap the tms units over and see if the fault follows. Always start with low/no cost option.

In removing both tms modules you'll be able to check for fluid discharge, mold, corrosion and check the part number on both modules to see if one has been swapped out.

Just remember to mark the good one in some way... a dab of paint, wife's nails varnish or something before you take things out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ok, well this turned out to be the TMS module - although there were no obvious signs of water or corrosion, replacing with a new unit has solved the issue thankfully.

Although I have now spotted that a couple of my headlight indicator LED's must be out, maybe time for a complete refresh of all Angel Eye and Indicator bulb modules in the near future!

Cheers

Joe