Forum 5

What did you do to your G30 / G31 today?

Always love a running thread like this on a forum!

Not done anything with mine this weekend due to the hose pipe ban, going to let it be dirty for a few weeks! The wet weather and mud that seems to be everywhere is making me ask myself if I should buy some of the winter mats for the car, as don't want to ruin the velour over this winter... 

What have you done to your car today?

Got a couple of quotes to fix the scuffs on my rear bumper from a numptie ASDA parker and repaint. The best one was still north of £400 which I can’t afford just now. I guess that’s actually not too bad a price as I assume they’d have to remove/replace the bumper so a few hours all in. Looking at this list:

https://www.bmw.co.uk/content/dam/bmw/marketGB/bmw_co_uk/owners/bmw-financial-services/existing-customers/returning-your-bmw/bmw-damage-charge-matrix.pdf.asset.1601469069950.pdf

it seems the finance company could get it done on a return a lot cheaper though. I guess they can get preferential rates for lots of business but what should I expect to pay? (Central Scotland, not the Deep South!)

(And the sod didn’t leave a note with their details either - surprise!)

Edited by BobA

On 11/09/2022 at 19:38, Stacker said:

should buy some of the winter mats for the car, as don't want to ruin the velour over this winter... 

Unless you’re in the habit of tramping round muddy fields in boots all the time I honestly wouldn’t bother. I’ve found the BMW mats clean up easily when they’re dry, mine are over 3 years old now and fine aside from heel marks. 

9 minutes ago, BobA said:

Unless you’re in the habit of tramping round muddy fields in boots all the time I honestly wouldn’t bother. I’ve found the BMW mats clean up easily when they’re dry, mine are over 3 years old now and fine aside from heel marks. 

That is good to know, the issue is kids!

How do you usually clean them, out of interest?

Aha, luckily I have a no food or drink for the children in the car so don't worry about that, those dry mud type marks are about as bad as it gets! I quite often do silly things like standing in wet mud at the most inappropriate times, so maybe investing in a stiff brush would be a good idea, thanks!

Ok wow look very clean, I guess you get what you pay for compared to the cheaper mats off eBay and the like - they don't seem to last very long at all!

Hopefully got someone coming to valet the car this week as this hose pipe ban is killing me!!!

21 minutes ago, BobA said:

What’s wrong with the 2 bucket wash?

Nothing is wrong with it, I just struggle without the pressure washer to rinse it off, clean the wheels etc. My normal wash routing is probably stupidly long compared to others and I have a weird feeling that doing the two bucket method without using snow foam to lubricate the paintwork is likely to cause scratches, as it's harder to remove the top layer of dirt!

Each to their own, £45 for a full exterior and interior valet didn't sound too bad to me...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/09/2022 at 19:22, Stacker said:

£45 for a full exterior and interior valet didn't sound too bad to me...

Damn good actually! My last one cost me £70 which I thought was OK for 3 full hours considering he has the stuff to buy and a van to run. Not that I’m lazy, just too old and stiff to crawl around the interior trying to wipe and clean everything. 😉

Edited by BobA

I didn't take the guy up on the offer in the end, the G31 is going into BMW tomorrow as a part exchange, and I shall be walking away with an F05 X5...

Was a great car in the short time I had it, but felt the need for something a bit bigger with 3 young-ish children to pile in the back!

On 04/10/2022 at 22:38, Stacker said:

I didn't take the guy up on the offer in the end, the G31 is going into BMW tomorrow as a part exchange, and I shall be walking away with an F05 X5...

Was a great car in the short time I had it, but felt the need for something a bit bigger with 3 young-ish children to pile in the back!

Doesn’t the G31 have a larger boot capacity?

• Haha 2