Forum 5

Going through the bulkhead

I need to get a cable through the front bulkhead to wire in my front camera. I have looked at the main wiring loom and that doesn't seem to have any slack in it for an extra cable. Has anybody managed to get another cable through the bulkhead. It is on an F11 but probably very similar on many BMW's. Any advice much appreciated

Take a piggy back fuse holder from F54 in the passenger footwell fuse box. 

Or run a fused wire from the battery in the boot following the existing looms under the side trims. 

To get the camera data cable through to the cabin, remove the blower motor and its housing and you can then get the cable through the existing large wiring harness grommet into the near side passenger footwell. I’ve done this a couple of times on the F10/11 when replacing the side view camera and cable.

8 hours ago, Matthew said:

To get the camera data cable through to the cabin, remove the blower motor and its housing and you can then get the cable through the existing large wiring harness grommet into the near side passenger footwell. I’ve done this a couple of times on the F10/11 when replacing the side view camera and cable

Thanks I will give that a try, annoyingly I have put the cable to the driver side at the moment but will reroute to the passenger side. It should be easier as I have already put the box of tricks in the glove box after I couldn't get it behind the headunit. 

Apologies, when you said front camera I took that as a front screen fitted dash cam.  But I’m guessing that isn’t the case where’s the camera mounted? 

There are wires that pass thru the bulkhead under the brake master cylinder that link the drivers side cockpit to the engine fuse box which is adjacent to the brake master cylinder. 

Depending on the thickness of the cable you are looking to push thru you might be able to squeeze a cable thru an existing cable grommet alongside existing wiring. I’ve done that on older cars routing power from an engine bay mounted battery to towbar wiring in the boot. I used a straightened out wire coat hanger to push cable thru the grommets with other wires. 

On 19/07/2024 at 07:55, 999mch said:

Thanks I will give that a try, annoyingly I have put the cable to the driver side at the moment but will reroute to the passenger side. It should be easier as I have already put the box of tricks in the glove box after I couldn't get it behind the headunit. 

This is your best option to go through the same route as the side view cameras would have done which, on RHD cars, is as I mention, through the large clump of wires routed next to the blower housing. 

• Thanks 1