Forum 5

Screen and headlight washers not working!!

Anyone know  if the screen and headlight washers are run off two separate pumps, as neither are working, chances of both pumps failing at the same time, leads me to a wiper switch failure. Thoughts??

Fuse checked, and thr intensive cleaning, ( separate pump and reservoir) is working 

49 minutes ago, Ray112 said:

Definitely two separate pumps. So most likely it's stalk failure. Are wipers starting to move when you pull stalk towards you? 

Yes, the wipers sweep as normal 

Actually e60 chassis has filters around all washer pumps, can't remember if it was a case with e39 as well. Basically sometimes those filters get clogged with some sort of gunk, possibly chemical reaction between various types of screenwash. Solution is to take all pumps out, remove filters, clean them under running tap water, rinse bottle well (garden hose left for 20 minutes in filler neck with pumps removed from bottle did great job for me.) You might want to look on bmw parts catalogue to see if there's such a thing  as small mesh filter exists around each pump. 

12 hours ago, Ray112 said:

Then it might not be stalk. 

I'm hoping it might be, this stalk feels a little loose, bmw switch gear, like Mercedes are a quality item, feels like it is hewn from granite, even after 1000's of activation, this one feels like a Ford switch. Hoping, as it will save jacking up, removing the wheel, and lifting part of the wheel arch liner.

On 18/07/2024 at 10:20, Colin Halls said:

Possible the relay for the washer system 

Pretty sure these are two separate systems each with its own relay.

So if headlight washer and wimdscreen washer pumps are not working that would not be a common failure point.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://www.bimmerfest.com/attachments/bmw-e39_general_wiring_diagrams_color-pdf.441296/&ved=2ahUKEwif87ntirWHAxVPXEEAHW6pDLI4FBAWegQIBxAB&usg=AOvVaw15jJiLJdSrm8H5XcPyO8zU

• 4 weeks later...

Latest, after removing the mudflap, and partially lifting the wheel arch trim to gain access, I connected the multi meter to the pump feed, and noted a reading when the washer switch was pulled, so it is getting power, hopefully a new pump, ordered, will solve the issue.

Touring has three pumps, I changed the lot - c.£12 each for Febi brand off Evilbay. I took the liner out and cleaned everything while I was in there.