Forum 5

BMW 3G communications gone?

Since last week, I've not been able to transmitted destinations from my phone to my F07. I have lifetime subscriptions for teleservices, etc. So assuming that the 3G network that BMW used haved discontinued the service? I've not seen any notifications about this?

Also, checking on the website, for map updates, I m not seeing an option to update the maps either๐Ÿ™„

Anyone else experiencing these issues?

My car is added to ConnectedDrive but it only gets updates via data on my phone.

I also can't buy map updates from the website. I'll have to ask the parts department next time I need something if perhaps I have to buy a USB stick via them.

It's a pity BMW don't offer an upgrade path for those with 3G connectivity to 4G.ย  They have in the US, but not in Europe.

It is technically possible. It may not be cheap, but it is one way of getting more use out of a perfectly usable car. Why should I change my Car, just because some features are no longer working?

Manufacturers mindsets need to change. Making 'new' cars from recycled materials is paying lip service to sustainability, in my opinion.

ย 

In order to run with a 4G atm module, requires a head unit upgrade, plus associated interconnecting wiring, through the 2nd hand market.

Whilst this works, it won't be using the vehicles VIN number. The ATM modules are hard coded for a VIN and they can't be changed, post purchase. So need to run an account using the 'donor' VIN.

BMW are losing out, as people will just opt for 3rd party upgrades that give 4G connectivity.

34 minutes ago, Kopfjaeger said:

BMW are losing out, as people will just opt for 3rd party upgrades that give 4G connectivity.

Or they will do what I did and put a random Chinese MMI box in their car...which is driving me nuts so might be coming out again ๐Ÿคฃ

It's frustrating because some car manufacturers do want you to enjoy their older cars for the years to come. Porsche for example offer an upgraded head unit for their older cars which matches the interior perfectly and gives you Apple CarPlay/Android Auto.

I've got a Wondefoo head unit that I use, installed with the 4G issue anticipated. I haven't used the non BMW functionality, so it works fine as a dumb screen. Now that I might use the 4G functionality, may be it will change.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

After a lot of research last year i read something that suggested that any 3G device that canโ€™t find a 3G network will default to the next fastest alternative, in this case 2G. The built in SIM in the F generation 5 Series runs in Vodafone in the uk, who switched off their 3G in March of this year I believe. My 2015 5 with the ConnectedBooster pack still active from last year still works - it no longer shows the 3G symbol and the weather, news etc are slower to load but they do still load up - occasionally Iโ€™ll travel thought areas where the 2G signal is so poor that my idrive shows a โ€œno connectionโ€ message but itโ€™s not very often. Most importantly though, RTTI still works nearly all of the time too, again only occasionally defaulting to TMS. I live in Buckinghamshire but regularly drive to Birmingham and London and the availability seems pretty consistent. I believe none of the networks are switching off 2G because it uses so little bandwidth and is also a good backup emergency service. I have to say that Iโ€™m quite pleased that the loss of 3G hasnโ€™t totally killed my idriveโ€™s usability as Iโ€™d feared it would. Whether or not BMW will let me renew my connected drive services this December is another matter though as they might consider using them over 2G to be such a below par service that they canโ€™t charge for it.ย 

My car has permanent connected services, etc. But requires a subscription for maps and A-RTTi.ย  I lost the ability to send info to my car in the last month or so.

Online, the only package I can subscribe to is a clutch of items, of which only the A-RTTi will work on my Car and not worth ยฃ80 a year.

I'm no longer able to take out a Map subscription online either. I'm waiting for some feedback from a local dealer about a 2 year map subscription, that is showing on their systems, but isn't 'in stock'.

I still get RTTi info and it would be nice to update my NEXT maps (currently 2022-1) version.

It remains to be seen if I'll upgrade to 4G, but that's another discussion.๐Ÿ˜Š

By way of an update, I've just ordered the 2 year subscription for NEXT maps from my local dealer for ยฃ136.21 incl.VAT.

Also, the remote services for sending info to my car worked the other day, so may be it isn't busted after all.๐Ÿ˜Š