Forum 5

Jag I Pace used, would you?

Sold my car recently now looking for my next car, really tempted by the I Pace

Would you be tempted by the low used prices? (17-19k for 2018-2020 cars)

There are couples of pros, soo many cons but I keep looking at the ads!

I know I should be looking at a long term reliable car because the car I just sold was an X5, decent spec but everything started to go wrong, I feel conned out of 28k, fixed a few issues under extended warranty, cut my losses and sold for 10k less! Ouch!!

Hell no. Their reputation for going wrong and the longevity of the fixes would put me right off them, or any JLR product TBF.

It's that bad, the last software update which nigh on bricked cars/stopped them being usable meant nigh on all dealerships ran out of Courtesy cars and had to support customers through Rental companies......

Is there a reason/need you want to jump to EV from ICE? 

I think I Pace is an ICE whereas the E Pace is the EV.

JLR have a poor reputation particularly for electrical reliability. I'd only enter with a bullet proof manufacturers warranty

1 hour ago, dj123 said:

Is there a reason/need you want to jump to EV from ICE? 

The X5 I just sold was a phev and always thought the car afterwards would be electric.
Due to the lemon above I’d like my next car to have manufacturer/dealer warranty, as reliable as possible, something that looks and drives great, I think the I-Pace has aged well and a test drive last year put a smile on my face.

My annual mileage is fairly low, only 5-7k per year. Can get away with charging at home only so wouldn’t have to rely on charging infrastructure.
There other smaller reasons: cheaper parking in London, Road tax, CC & ulez free (CC & road tax will be payable next year though). 

Certain ev cars are cheaper to insure but the jag is really expensive, one of the many cons!

Other car options are varied!

e-2008, Niro, 3008 phev, XC90 phev,  X5 phev again, RAV4?! Phev

14 minutes ago, E39mad said:

I think I Pace is an ICE whereas the E Pace is the EV.

JLR have a poor reputation particularly for electrical reliability. I'd only enter with a bullet proof manufacturers warranty

All I-Paces are electric, I think E-Paces are smaller version of the F-Pace and based on Evoqe chassis? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, E39Man said:

The X5 I just sold was a phev and always thought the car afterwards would be electric.
Due to the lemon above I’d like my next car to have manufacturer/dealer warranty, as reliable as possible, something that looks and drives great, I think the I-Pace has aged well and a test drive last year put a smile on my face.

My annual mileage is fairly low, only 5-7k per year. Can get away with charging at home only so wouldn’t have to rely on charging infrastructure.
There other smaller reasons: cheaper parking in London, Road tax, CC & ulez free (CC & road tax will be payable next year though). 

Certain ev cars are cheaper to insure but the jag is really expensive, one of the many cons!

Other car options are varied!

e-2008, Niro, 3008 phev, XC90 phev,  X5 phev again, RAV4?! Phev

If you go BMW approved used i think they come with a 2 year warranty? 

I  believe Toyota's are up to a 10 year warranty if serviced by a franchised dealer every time (the warranty rolls over year on year). I don't know from which year this started. 

Whilst those 'cheap' attractions are here now, they'll likely change in month to come as the Government clawback revenue. A cheap fully Petrol Car could be the solution to the parking/CC/ULEZ zone if they are not daily/frequent occurrences. Then you can have whatever vehicle you like for the remainder of other journeys and uses. 

Having just being told our work JLR Discovery 2.0d  needs a new engine at 5 years old with 98k on the clock at a cost of over £13k I wouldn't touch a JLR.

Our car had a full JLR service history. The 2.0d engine is a pile of crap. Don't do it

16 hours ago, dj123 said:

If you go BMW approved used i think they come with a 2 year warranty? 

This is what I’m also looking into, the newer shape X5 (G05) would be lovely but don’t fancy spending so much again so soon. 

9 hours ago, Stressed said:

Our car had a full JLR service history. The 2.0d engine is a pile of crap. Don't do it

Sorry to hear that!

I hope you get your issues resolved quickly and easily!

14 hours ago, E39Man said:

This is what I’m also looking into, the newer shape X5 (G05) would be lovely but don’t fancy spending so much again so soon. 

Sorry to hear that!

I hope you get your issues resolved quickly and easily!

See how the prices go. The automotive sector is massively down, and is likely to be for the remainder of the year - so they'll be deals to be done. 

TRL Deals (based out of the Berry BMW group) always get a good rap for offering good deals - worth reaching out to them as an enquiry as to what they can do. 

TRLdeals@outlook.com

JLR stuff is junk. The 2.0d Ingenium engine is a disaster and JLR's dealers, parts supply and warranty procedures a nightmare. You might be lucky, probably not.

If Porsche (well, VW) can't make an EV reliable (the Taycan isn't) then JLR certainly can't.

As ever, it's really only Toyota who can make a car that isn't a liability. Just be aware that any EV will effectively be scrap in 10 years and resale values will reflect this. 

Posted (edited)

I feel that the push for EVs is a political game made up by politicians and the motor industry.

Force the public to buy EVs then the motor industry will have a bigger turn over in car sales and the treasury will get a bigger turn over of taxes. The general public will just be more out of pocket.

If you look at car sales public owned EV purchases have gone down and the only EV sales for cars and vans that has gone up are business sales because of the tax breaks and benefit in kind taxes.

Company cars always filter through into the private market after 3-4 years but who's going to want second hand EVs?

Also look at London from 25/12/25 EVs will also be subject to the £15/day congestion charge

Edited by Stressed

5 hours ago, Stressed said:

Also look at London from 25/12/25 EVs will also be subject to the £15/day congestion charge

Yep, I know that and the road tax will also be adjusted. 

if the market is flooded with 2nd hand electric cars then that can only bring prices down and financially within reach for more people. But I think people aren’t  buying them because of battery trust. 
why is it so difficult to obtain a battery health report? 
There’s a video on Harry’s garage YouTube channel where he makes a good point about selling electric cars with a battery health report. A car with a healthier battery could potentially be worth more 

From my perspective aside from battery range/efficiency there are benefits to electric cars especially as I mostly won’t need to use charging infrastructure. 

Avoid any and all JLR products.

If they don’t get stolen (a blessing really) they will break and are worthless on resale. 

The whole EV market is quite broken. No one wants a new one (unless you’ve got day release from the asylum) so they won’t take any in as trade in as they have no hope in hell of selling a used EV if they can’t sell new. 

Yes MG are selling new EVs for the price of a weeks Tesco shop, but they are utter junk and will cost you money to dispose off after three years as who of sane mind will buy a used MG EV at three years old with 50k on the clock. 

As long as you own a socket set and a diagnostic machine with this here forum there is no need to buy an EV as we can keep any ICE BmW on the road 

• Like 1