Forum 5

E39 M5 low power. Shadow: signal crankshaft sensor

Hi guys.

Need a little help, I've got a signal crankshaft sensor shadow fault showing on BMW scanner 1.4 on my 2000 M5.

Car starts and seems to run spot on. Only if I switch off then start a min or so later it takes a few cranks to start and shudders slightly when it does fire up. Also torque low down is none existent below 3-4k+.

I can't remember for sure but I'm sure I had this on one of the last 2 I had years ago and it was actually the Cam sensors?

Am I right or making shit up?  

I've ordered all 4 Vemo sensors which I am hoping come soon.

Anyone else had this?

Edited by vRS_Billy

Hi Billy,

Think I have just had something similar show on my M5.

Had the EML illuminate after a spirited run on the way back to the cars storage - I cleared the code hoping it may be a one-off as the car doesn't get used that much, however - typically, on the way to the cars MOT this morning, its come back on. Will be lucky if it passes, hoping I may be given the benefit of the doubt as its only done 500 miles in 12 months.

I'll scan it again tomorrow to see if its the same fault as yours - I have no record of the CPS or crank sensors ever being replaced, so guessing it may be time to dust off the ole wallet. 

Out of interest, what were you quoted for the CPS sensors from Cotswold? Saw your quote with the fan included.

I'm assuming you went with the Vemo sensors?