Forum 5

Door panel removal with door closed (locked)

db9

1995 530iT left rear door is locked - both inside and outside lever do not release the door. Power activator can be heard if I open and close the locks with the key - the pull knob moves (up and down)

Suggestions as how to remove the inner door panel with the door closed?

Thank you Sir..

any idea if there is a way to get spray lube at the latch mechanism from above before taking the door card off ?

thinking is that the mechanism may just be sticking and not releasing from the striker ( might as well try this first)

Hi @db9, not sure on the lube question but once the door card is off, it's not really obvious what comes next. With a screwdriver, I just poked and levered at whatever I could see in there and eventually found a magic spot to poke at and hey presto! Had to repeat it a few minutes later out of stupidity 😄.

I replaced the actuator after that.

Keliuss

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

So I have had success and wanted to share.. if, as in my case all appears to work except that the latch is stuck I though that before I attempted to remove the door panel with the door closed and obviously run the risk of panel damage I wanted to see if I could apply penetrating oil or lube to the mechanism. I had found a link on the big coupe forum about passing an aerosol can straw past the door seal from the outside .. I tried on the other rear door to see if I could do so and found that I couldn’t.

However.. by looking at the open door I determined that I could get the straw in from the inside (cabin) as the inner seal is visible and not as a tight seal..

as I show in the attached pictures the straw can be easily pushed and guided by the striker body and will end up at the “pin” .. connect your favourite “cleaner/lube” and give it a couple of shots protecting the interior in case of overspray.. I had to let things sit for a hour or so and then gave it another shot.. mechanism freed up and I was able to open the door.. clean and lube some more ..

IMG_1711.jpeg

IMG_1712.jpeg

Edited by db9
  • Like 1