Forum 5

Xtrons in a '98

Ok guys I know this is a long shot, but if you don't ask ..

My '98 523i was retrofitted with a Xtrons model PF7146BS android head unit by a PO around 2016 & does not look at all out of place in the dash .. however although all the functions, inc. the steer & cell-phone controls, work fine the screen has taken to turning black shortly after after turning the ignition key. The strange thing (to the uninitiated like me) is that the screen will usually (but not always) come 'alive' & display a clear image from the reversing camera leaving me thinking that it's a touch screen fault.

Anyone had success changing an android screen & how difficult was it ?

Thanks guys.

Edited by norseman

Hi Norseman,

I'd say it's quite lucky it lasted this long !

Intermittent faults like this are hard to pinpoint exactly, however behaviourally, it's often like this when specific IC's and components begin to deteriorate physically and their 'resistance/impedance/electronic characteristics thus change' causing faults to appear/make themselves known and often means stranger behaviour.

There's not many car audio specific electronic test bench/repairers around and I suspect any that are around, won't really touch the chinese replacement stuff - if they do, it might be that it'll be harder to source specific IC's/Components required - but similarly 'might' be easier as in general, it's low grade Android Tablet electronics inside them. I'd also put forward the possible costs mean it'd be better value for money to buy a new one. However, it's not as though the chinese replacements are a beacon of reliability, so chances are quite high that sooner or later, you may get similar issues/problems.  

Looking on ebay, seem to be plenty units ranging from around £239 to £350 so, quite a significant amount to potentially get similar issues relatively soon. 

Maybe try to get in touch with Xtrons themselves, maybe they know of a UK electronics test bench, or maybe have their own?

Good luck and update here with how you get on

Cheers, Dennis!

I have exhaustively browsed the subject, but to no avail. We live in a throw-away society 😒

Being something of a dinosaur when it comes to electronics I've no idea how these Chinese units compare to the top brands, though it's interesting to note that the latter still only offer a 12 month warranty & I wouldn't call the former products cheap, certainly not in terms of purchase price.

ICE in a car rates pretty low on the priority scale for me (my other half won't agree!) but if I've got £300 upwards to blow I'll use it to keep the car on the road. Sorting a dying cluster ribbon is next on the expenditure list. 

Your reply & advice is appreciated nevertheless , I will post if I get it sorted.