Forum 5

F10 535i DIY - Wing mirror glass replacement.

I’ve noticed for a while that my drivers wing mirror has been quite shoogly. The bad road surfaces (particularly the Glasgow Southern Orbital) exacerbate the problem. 

I had a prod it last weekend and it was quite loose and a replacement was needed as I feared it would fall off and I’d be stuck without it. 

An aftermarket one was bought from Amazon for £15.

Tools needed

Trim tool.

IMG-5217.jpg

My problem is quite obvious, the glass has come away from its backing and it feels like it’s only held on by the heating element wires. 

IMG-5213.jpg

Using a big wide flat trim tool prize the bottom edge of the glass and the backing plate out of the clips. 

IMG-5219.jpg

The glass with its backing should unclip from the circular mount that holds the glass and is what moves to adjust the mirror, be mindful of the heating element wires.

IMG-5220.jpg

Unplug the wiring connections from the backing plate.

IMG-5222.jpg

Glass removed. This will be familiar to Audi drivers who don’t use their mirrors. 

IMG-5223.jpg

The clips were slightly different on the replacement and the locations of the electrical connections was different but was not a problem.

Reconnect the wires and push the glass home in its clips. 

IMG-5226.jpg

Job done 

Took longer to write this than replace the mirror. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I had same problem, mine was bobbling especially noticeable on inner city roads. 
I ordered a ridex set from AUTODOC, took about a week to arrive and replaced both. 

Got both as wanted the tint of the glass to match, the autism in me!
Set me back £26 for both including postage. 
Easy peasy, wonder how much BMW charge?