Forum 5

530e servicing suggestion

Posted (edited)

I need a recommendation for my situation.

I bought a 2018 BMW 530e with 59,080 miles from a private seller who acquired it from a car auction at a private school. The school provides cars to directors and auctions them every five years. The car's service history includes:

- December 2019: Minor service (oil and oil filter change, micro-filter) at 21,000 miles.
- May 2021: Major service (oil, oil filter, air filter, spark plugs, micro-filter change) at 41,000 miles.

According to the school’s auction administration, subsequent services were performed by their handyman using BMW parts, not by a dealer, and they cannot provide a detailed service history for these.

The iDrive system indicates that the next service is due in June 2025 or in 11,000 miles. However, I purchased a three-year protection plan that requires servicing the car every 12 months or 12,000 miles from the plan's activation date.

Given this situation, should I pay £800 for a service at a BMW dealer now, or wait until the iDrive system indicates service is due in June 2025 or in 11,000 miles?

Can I trust that the school performed the services, or is there a risk they may have simply reset the iDrive service dates?

Is it possible for anyone to reset iDrive without servicing car?

Edited by Zat

Yes of course you can reset the service date without actually servicing the car. Pretty unlikely anyone would do that I’d say though.

TBH I’d be inclined to trust them but it’s up to you of course. The only service in question is the June 2023 one which is a ‘minor’ one so if you’re really bothered about it just do an oil change just now (which would be a good idea anyway. BTW) and you’re good to go. £800 for a minor service? I’d look for a different dealer! 😉

I wonder why your service plan wants a different schedule to BMW’s own one. Actually 12 month oil changes wouldn’t hurt and the other costs won’t be exorbitant anyway, just wondering.