Forum 5

E30 front electric window regulators in the rear doors of an E28

Posted (edited)

Diamantschwartz eta.

As part of the recovery from fault condition with the front passenger side door solenoid, I have removed all four door cards, vapor barriers and undertaken a comprehensive lubrication routine.

I used "3 in One" Silicone lubrication spray in the window channels to help the glass slide more easily.

I used "WD 40" spray & stay gel lubricant on the window regulator and door locking mechanism moving parts.

Imagine my surprise when I found the rear window regulators were not as described or shown in the Haines Manual.

I quick check of the Zobelbraun eta confirmed the Diamantschwartz eta was different.

The lifting mechanism is a twisting flexible helix within a fixed metal tube, the top of the helix being attached to the bottom of a central sliding channel that supports the glass.

A brief check of real OEM points toward this being an E30 front window mechanism which has been "adapted" to fit the rear of an E28.

The Zobelbraun eta rear driver side door:

IMG_3882.thumb.JPG.eac9306dea47f36734a44610ea02ece4.JPG

With the E28 regulator mounted correctly for an E28:

IMG_3884.thumb.JPG.e73db41dfbc8cc29df6d4fd61dee9455.JPG

Together with the correct E28 switch and switch base:

IMG_3883.thumb.JPG.c4b72dda87a390680425535b40a08211.JPG

The Diamantschwartz eta:

E28 regulator mounting holes not used, and a non e28 switch with jury rigged crimps and sleeves.

Adapted mounting arrangements for motor mechanism which is a lot lower than an E28 location.

IMG_3879.thumb.JPG.3426dcf2a463d6e31f53b65731f40b03.JPG

Helix driven slider mechanism with window fully lowered:

IMG_3880.thumb.JPG.5a7fc7419c6c6d6af75f365fbcbf9411.JPG

View of motor driven helix:

IMG_3881.thumb.JPG.bdee0ffcfe643fe62d82b6f79c675eba.JPG

I have lubricated and functioned both rear windows but they do not operate smoothly and exhibit a propensity to wobble back and forth about the centrally positioned slider mechanism.

They also get stuck repeatedly (despite being lubricated to within an inch of their lives :classic_blush: ) in the lower third of the door mechanism.

I suspect that the Diamantschwartz eta, being a lux model from the factory, originally had "keep fit" rear windows and was retro-fitted with electric rear mechanisms by a previous owner.

I have been known to do the odd bit of retro-fitting myself.

Does anybody recognise the mechanism or can confirm my E30 front window mechanism theory?

Looks like I will need to source a set of E28 rear window regulators and looms if I am going to resolve the current sub-optimal performance of this interesting retrofit.

Best regards,

Mick

Edited by Ordnator 2

• Ordnator 2 changed the title to E30 front electric window regulators in the rear doors of an E28

Just using them to keep the rear windows closed for now, so that I can drive and enjoy the car for the Summer & Autumn months :classic_biggrin:

Will likely strip out and examine / replace with an E28 set-up at the end of the season.

I think I may already have two new OEM rear door looms for electric windows stanched away as you do :classic_ninja:

Just need to identify and acquire the remaining E28 parts between now and then.

While I am in there do I extend this work package  to include renewing all four window rubbers, or would that be classified as mission creep?

Best regards,

Mick