Forum 5

Head lights and foot control module

Question: I have a 2014 525I, I have a fault code on the dash for the adaptive headlight. Now currently I've changed the headlight modules on both sides, but still have the fault. Also, I have no hight beam or halo lights. All other lights work fine. So Question 1 is, do need a new foot control module (I'd need it to be flashed for my car). Or Question 2, can I just switch to LED head lights and have those features for the adaptive lights shut off in the Foot control module. 

Posted (edited)

It would be better to get it diagnosed properly before you go down the path of question 1 as its expensive, but a starter would be to connect to car with dongle or a diagnostic machine and check/clear the fault code in the first instance to see if it comes back also check fuse(s). The TMS modules are renowned for becoming water clogged, from sitting water was this the problem with yours?

Then question 2 is definetly a "no" you will directly fail any MOT with that setup as its not as per design, see below URL for information.

https://www.passmefast.co.uk/resources/rules-of-the-road/driving-law/led-headlights

Edited by Andrew
diagnostic software.

You need to cure the fault not the symptom. Is there something else making the TMS generate a fault code which would need reading with a diagnostic code reader.  It may even be a blown fuse or loose connection.

The fault code may need to be cleared before it will work again.

A diagnostic code reader with specific BMW software can be had for just over £100.

This post above includes links to other posts on how to access the TMS module and fault code reading and clearing.