Forum 5

How to bed new brakes - 520d F10

Hi all,

Will be changing the rear brakes soon (Zimmerman rotors + Pagid pads) on my 520d. 

It'll be the first time i'm doing this job and am wondering what will be the right bedding procedure to follow afterwards? 

Thanks, 

2 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

I think the simple advice is to use them gently for a couple of hundred miles and avoid hard braking. They want a few gentle heat cycles I believe. 

Thanks,

That's kinda what I'm leaning towards.

An alternative that I've seen mentioned quite frequently is the need to go through cycles of moderate and then hard braking in the beginning

3 hours ago, MacPedro said:

Thanks,

An alternative that I've seen mentioned quite frequently is the need to go through cycles of moderate and then hard braking in the beginning

Follow @duncan-uk's advice, hard braking in the beginning will leave uneven pad deposits on the disc and introduce the feeling many people put down to a warped disc.

6 hours ago, MacPedro said:

Thanks,

I think if you are bedding in race brakes then a more controlled heat cycle is needed but for the road gentle use is the requirement. 

My genuine bmw pads suggested 250kn before hard use and certainly the first few applications felt wooden but soon improved. 

9 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

I think if you are bedding in race brakes then a more controlled heat cycle is needed but for the road gentle use is the requirement. 

My genuine bmw pads suggested 250kn before hard use and certainly the first few applications felt wooden but soon improved. 

Thanks @duncan-uk,

I'll follow your advise