Forum 5

Insurance renewal time

I paid £245 last year for the F11 which I changed after 6 months to the G31. Have full no claims am mid 50's and car is left on the driveway.

Renewal from Hastings Direct comes in at £565 but there are some changes to put on as mileage has increased to 12000 per annum and Mrs Mad's status has changed from Employed Midwife to Housewife. This put the premium up another £100 to £660. Did all the comparison sites together with LV and Direct Line. Moneysupermarket came out the best by far with a quote of £458...

BUT....looking deeper into this policy by Geoffrey Insurance shows that there is absolutely no cover to drive in the EU so that's that one ditched! Be wary as could easily have been caught out and bought this policy as it's not one of the filters when completing their online forms. It was only when looking deep into their cover did I realise this is not the policy for us.

Bank of Scotland are next at £525 so this is currently looking to be the favourite as allows up to 60 continuous days in the EU.

Did all the quotes on the preferred 23 days before the policy is due as is supposed to be the sweet spot for getting the best deals.

Anyway looks like a 100% + premium increase this year!

• Sad 1

That's quite a big increase. My changed from £351 to £406 this year. E61 520d m sport, parked on drive, 8 or 9 ncb(can't remember, never had accident, but lost few with coop insurance, since they take maximum 6ncb for first year), I'm 38, wife is housewife, doing 20k miles a year, stage 1 remap declared. I'm with Chris knott insurance. Might be worth giving them a call. 

• Like 1

I had a call from Chris Knott Insurance a couple of weeks ago.

Last year about £650 for my G31 and £400 for my wife's 1 series. This year they said Highway will not insure me so therefore like for like cover for our cars over £2000 for the G31 and £1500 for the 1 series WTF? They claimed Highway and Aviva aren't insuring German cars any more!

They claimed insurers won't insure my car within the M25 without it being garaged. when I challenged their prices they said "haven't you been watching the news? Car insurance has gone up 40-50% because of thefts" My reply yes I have seen the news. Thefts of high end cars 4x4/SUVs and keyless entry, my car is not a 4x4/SUV and doesn't have keyless entry and 50% increase of a £650 policy only adds up to £975 your maths doesn't add up.  I always thought Chris Knott were a good broker and recommended by this site!

30 minutes on the Martin Lewis web site and both cars insured for less than £1350 for both not each. Not garaged.

All I can think is has Chris Knott become a rip off?

Both of us are over 50 full no claims and no points

Also  via Martin Lewis my wife's car is now insured with Aviva who CK said aren't insuring German cars??

6 hours ago, Stressed said:

I had a call from Chris Knott Insurance a couple of weeks ago.

Last year about £650 for my G31 and £400 for my wife's 1 series. This year they said Highway will not insure me so therefore like for like cover for our cars over £2000 for the G31 and £1500 for the 1 series WTF? They claimed Highway and Aviva aren't insuring German cars any more!

They claimed insurers won't insure my car within the M25 without it being garaged. when I challenged their prices they said "haven't you been watching the news? Car insurance has gone up 40-50% because of thefts" My reply yes I have seen the news. Thefts of high end cars 4x4/SUVs and keyless entry, my car is not a 4x4/SUV and doesn't have keyless entry and 50% increase of a £650 policy only adds up to £975 your maths doesn't add up.  I always thought Chris Knott were a good broker and recommended by this site!

30 minutes on the Martin Lewis web site and both cars insured for less than £1350 for both not each. Not garaged.

All I can think is has Chris Knott become a rip off?

Both of us are over 50 full no claims and no points

Also  via Martin Lewis my wife's car is now insured with Aviva who CK said aren't insuring German cars??

I have LV (Liverpool Victoria) insurance cover through Chris knott, so it's definitely not just highway and aviva they use. Only thing, I'm in small town far away from M25, so that must be making quite a difference. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm with CK, inside M25, with a London post code, mine isn't garaged, but sits on the drive, 25+ years no claims, paid about £800 in February 24, based upon 5000 milea a year. My F07N has listed modifications (but they're not covered!🤣), but none that affect performance.

E39mad, are you on auto renewal for your car insurance, if so, delete it, auto renewal probably gives the least competitive renewal price, based on people not being arsed to switch car insurance firms.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Steve VH said:

E39mad, are you on auto renewal for your car insurance, if so, delete it, auto renewal probably gives the least competitive renewal price, based on people not being arsed to switch car insurance firms.

Nope - never do auto renewal and always do the comparison sites etc - tight Northener syndrome!!

Chris Knott never rang back with a quote after completing their online form and receiving an email to say I would be contacted!!!

Edited by E39mad