Forum 5

Splitting headlights

I have baked my E39 headlights twice now - once 13 years ago to replace the plastic adjusters with aluminium and last year to replace the tired outer lenses. Both times I use the lowest (electric) setting and perhaps up it a tiny amount, and I seem to recall using some black silkafix sealant for some small areas.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, 4aceman said:

Usually the older cars will have clip on lenses and rubber gaskets. You’ll have to investigate how the alfa does it, but should be pretty obvious

Ah ok, hadn't thought of that i'll have a look.

• 1 month later...

It depends what there sealed with, an easy way to tell is if there’s any screws that hold the lens to the case remove one and see if it’s butyl or not, if it’s butyl it’ll soft and sticky on the threads, if it’s permaseal like Sikaflex then it’ll be more of a silicone consistency 

if it’s the latter generally best way in is to cut the lens off with dremmel and the pull what’s left out of the channel, if there butyl then some time in the oven and they’ll come apart no problem 

• Thanks 1