Forum 5

ATE brake pad differences

I am trying to determine the differences between these brake pads.  13.0470-7167.2 and 13.0470-7296.2

I ask because according to most sites, they fit my 2004 E60 530d, but if you ask for the brake pads from a supplier they only offer # 13.0470-7296.2

A friend is a bit of a Del Boy and he offered me a set of 13.0470-7167.2, but now I'm unsure about them fitting correctly. 

@Clavurion do you have any experience with these pads?

TIA

Changy

6 hours ago, Changy said:

Thank you @Clavurion

The only difference I can see is the clip. 

And looks like you need a set without it? Well I believe it can be removed with pair of pliers. Apart from clip they look identical, so might be worth taking of your mate if price is good.

• Like 1

This is interesting. When I changed my front pads the pads I swapped out had this clip. The replacement set I got didn’t but it wasn’t required as far as I could see. They both fit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bmwsmx said:

This is interesting. When I changed my front pads the pads I swapped out had this clip. The replacement set I got didn’t but it wasn’t required as far as I could see. They both fit.

I haven't had a chance to check my current pads, and I can't remember if they have the clip. When my mate offered me the ceramic ATE pads it seemed like a good opportunity too good to pass up. Then I couldn't get any sense from the suppliers, hence this post.

The clip was the only obvious difference and the data from @Clavurion via ATE confirmed my view. I then emailed ATE and they confirmed that the clip should not make any difference.

If it stops raining, I will stop building my ark and have a look at the front pads!

15 hours ago, Ray112 said:

And looks like you need a set without it? Well I believe it can be removed with pair of pliers. Apart from clip they look identical, so might be worth taking of your mate if price is good.

According to ATE, the clip shouldn't make a difference, but I need time to look at my current pads. I cannot remember if they have a clip.

The clip you are all referring to (assuming it's the one on the face of the pad contacting the piston) is and anti-rattle solution. The clip slides into the piston bore and obviously there is one one of those per corner. The accompanying pad that sits on the other side of the caliper doesn't have or need one so with an axle set you will have 2 that have the clip and 2 that don't. 

Both should fit OEM brake cliipers provided the pads are the same size and shape. 

It's a firm push to seat the clip into the liston bore. 

4 hours ago, Humour said:

The clip you are all referring to (assuming it's the one on the face of the pad contacting the piston) is and anti-rattle solution. The clip slides into the piston bore and obviously there is one one of those per corner. The accompanying pad that sits on the other side of the caliper doesn't have or need one so with an axle set you will have 2 that have the clip and 2 that don't. 

Both should fit OEM brake cliipers provided the pads are the same size and shape. 

It's a firm push to seat the clip into the liston bore. 

One set of pads have just one clip per pair, which is, like you mentioned sliding into piston. Other set has those clips on all 4 pads pads, possibly for two piston calipers,or it's supposed to hold into caliper itself,not sure on this, but I have seen before front brake pads with all 4 pads having anti rattle clips.

Anyway it's easy to remove them if not needed, so as long as size is correct, they must fit.

• Like 1