Forum 5

OBD port reader.

KitTheRam

I know I won’t get much info but is there a cheap OBD reader for e34 that can clear codes etc?

My cars been running rich for a while now. I know there are various ports of call from low fuel pressure to O2 sensors (changed not long ago) to maf’s to injectors etc.

Runs and idles fine, just smells quite rich…

I now have a small collection of code readers that work in various cars with different degrees of success. 

The oldest is a small Autel MS509 which is pretty good for engine diagnostics and engine code clearing on E38 and E39 as well as live engine data, but it failed to connect to my E34. Last year I bought an iCarsoft CR Max for diagnosing other systems (ABS etc) on my E39 and whilst it can look at all the systems and read and clear faults it for some reason doesn’t like live data reading. 

Anyway, to answer your question the iCarsoft does connect to the E34 and can see the systems in shown below - it can also fault read and clear on those systems too but unfortunately it wasn’t cheap. 

If you post up where you are I’m happy to meet up and plug in if you think it might help.

I also have an old laptop with INPA but can’t remember if that works, and I have recently bought PASoft but I’m yet to try it out.

IMG_1524.thumb.jpeg.7802548f94ab1e0cb375914f00c41b35.jpeg

Edited by Sharkfan

2 hours ago, Sharkfan said:If you post up where you are I’m happy to meet up and plug in if you think it might help.

That is very kind, I am on the Herts/Essex border. Not far from Harlow / Epping / Hertford.

OBD stands for onboard diagnostics and the rectangular port on the E39 is the (almost standardised) OBD2 found on a wide range of manufacturers world wide.

The E34 had the BMW 20 pin round socket with the pac-man locating pin. 

Some late E24's had that 20 pin socket too but most E24's and E28's had a round (with flat edge) 15 pin connector.

I can even recall a small 6 pin connector on my 1973 2002tii though God only knows what was used to plug into it.

5 hours ago, Sharkfan said:

OBD stands for onboard diagnostics and the rectangular port on the E39 is the (almost standardised) OBD2 found on a wide range of manufacturers world wide.

The E34 had the BMW 20 pin round socket with the pac-man locating pin. 

Some late E24's had that 20 pin socket too but most E24's and E28's had a round (with flat edge) 15 pin connector.

I can even recall a small 6 pin connector on my 1973 2002tii though God only knows what was used to plug into it.

Early E39's had the round OBD socket, AFAIK the connectors on the E28, 24's, and 34's are just to enable the service indicator lights to be reset following a dealer service.

3 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

So is the e34 a round lead? did you buy that seperate to iCS as mine didnt have it in the kit - might have my old laptop one somewhere.

Yes - I had one already for the Autel to read the codes on my 1997 E38. The E38's didn't get OBD2 until some time in 1999.

2 hours ago, Steve VH said:

Early E39's had the round OBD socket, AFAIK the connectors on the E28, 24's, and 34's are just to enable the service indicator lights to be reset following a dealer service.

Which you could do with a paper clip, still have the e36 M3 print out on my tool board.