Forum 5

Headlight failed

Hi everyone

I got the usual "headlight bulb is out" warning from the car the other day and the low beam had stopped working. I thought it was just a bulb replacement due, it seems it's a little more than that....

• The standard H7 low beam has stopped working in the drivers side headlight.
  • Plugging the drivers side headlight into the passenger side loom, the bulb is still not illuminating (I didn't try the other way round).
  • There's continuity between pin6 on one of the bulb connector terminals, and pins 1,4 & 12 on the other terminal. Is this right?

I will check that there is power to the pins above from the loom and that fuses are as they should be tomorrow. But as this headlight doesn't work in the passenger loom, I doesn't feel like a supply issue.

I know that the wiring is fairly biodegradable on these cars, but what I can see of the wiring to the low beam bulb looks good.

What else could it be? If it's the internal wiring, it looks a complete pig to try and sort so am I best just buying a replacement unit before I get pulled over by the fuzz?

It's a halogen LCI unit, if that helps?

Edited by olliecampbell

The connector looks right, but is the description correct?

aansluiting_lci-jpg.33797

I have continuity between pins:

• 1->4
  • 1->12
  • 4->12
  • 8->9
  • 10->11

Which looks good, except for 1->4, unless that is correct?

Edited by olliecampbell

2 hours ago, olliecampbell said:

Definitely have power to pin 3 on the harness (listed in the picture as dipped beam)…

If you have access to multimeter, test continuity from bulb connector to headlight main connector. If you get signed obviously there's nothing wrong with headlight. Next would be to check voltage at harness side, if anything is coming to headlight. If not, check fuses. If all good then need to look at light module, see what faults are there. 

Another thing you can try is with ignition off and keys out pull high beam stalk towards you( like to flash). With ignition off that will activate "coming home" lights. If those work, obviously it's all good with headlight and wiring a maybe switch is playing up or light module. 

Ok thanks. Yes get continuity to the bulb connector but wondered if I might be getting a short caused by the biodegradable wiring insulation.

i expect it could be a light module issue but why would the drivers headlight not work on the passenger side loom? (Passenger side is working fine)

3 hours ago, olliecampbell said:

The internal headlight wiring?

What else can it be if it doesn't work on either sides multiplug. Can you get probes on the bulb socket to check for continuity?

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Just for completeness....it was the internal wiring. Replacement headlight, job done.

If anyone would like the old headlight then let me know. I can't put an advert up in the For Sale section. Am only looking for postage costs covered 

Edited by olliecampbell

On 12/03/2024 at 18:23, olliecampbell said:

Just for completeness....it was the internal wiring. Replacement headlight, job done.

If anyone would like the old headlight then let me know. I can't put an advert up in the For Sale section. Am only looking for postage costs covered 

Is it LCI halogen light? If so I'll happily have it.  Will be something to practice to remove front lens off, before doing it on my actual lights. Just let me know what's the postage costs. Or depends where you are, might be able to collect it.