Forum 5

New 5 series touring released

1 hour ago, 4aceman said:

Interesting that the 530e has a slightly worse 0-60 than an E39 530i

I thought the E39 530i auto had a 0-60 time of 7.5 secs? The manuals were certainly quicker in those days. All these new models quoted will be automatic only. I think the 530e will be a 2 litre four pot with added battery power.

In fact there will be no straight six ICE in either diesel or petrol. The 550e might be a straight six petrol coupled with a battery which as about as close as you might get!

Edited by E39mad

16 minutes ago, Stressed said:

looks like the days of 700 miles between fill ups are gone. How many customers are BMW going to loose without a 2.0d or 3.0d?

Yep, I don't know if it's BMW UK or BMW Germany who are being short sighted and choosing which engines the UK should get. Who ever it is I don't believe they can read their existing customers nor the general publics views. Electric cars are rubbish in the UK due to a severe lack of charging infrastructure with the possible exception of a Tesla whose charging stations talk their cars so it tells you where to "fill up". 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

There is a 520d and there will be a 540d (3.0 diesel with circa 300 bhp) in the majority of EU markets, but not the UK. This new 5 is honestly a massive miss for me. The engine line up, the stupid drive modes, expressive/digital art mode etc, what was wrong with eco pro, comfort & sport/sport plus? Lack of physical climate controls, even changing the headlight settings, you push a button and then have to use the i-Drive to adjust. They're ridiculously complicated. They also removed the tailgate glass opening which I always found handy. Aside from that, the price. The new Mercedes E Class looks a much better proposition this generation, better engine line ups and looks better, although this again is stupidly priced 🤐.

Yep I fear this will be my last 5 touring. I am on my third now.

On a recent return trip from Southern Spain our car did 770 miles between fill ups and still had 80 miles left in the tank. You can't do that in a new i5 or 530e. 

Like you I don't like the hidden menu's for things like climate control in the new 5. Although not seen the new touring in the flesh it doesn't from initial videos appear to be a looker. I can see these being heavily discounted in the UK or having a cheap lease deal to entice sales. 

I certainly wouldn’t entertain the new model. I’d much rather the last of the G31’s, which I fear will be remembered as the last good 5 series before it just became about tech and pleasing the narrative. The new model is huge but manages no extra boot space. 

Honestly, BMW’s i-Drive used to be the best on the market in my opinion. Now the latest iteration is just ridiculously complicated. The fact you now pay the best part of £52,000 for a 520i is just ludicrous if you ask me. I cannot get over what a step backwards this new model is in my eyes. 

• Like 1

I saw my first saloon driving by on the road yesterday - can't say I was impressed and looks a big car. 

Most Youtube videos praise the car's tech and dynamics but state that now it is really a luxury car rather than a sports saloon. Suppose you have to drop to the 3 series to get those dynamics. Most say the interior build is not as good as the G30/31.

On 07/02/2024 at 20:40, E39mad said:

Yep, I don't know if it's BMW UK or BMW Germany who are being short sighted and choosing which engines the UK should get.

That will be BMW UK who will also decide which options we can have (and only as part of ridculously expensive "packages").

On 24/02/2024 at 11:32, E39mad said:

Yep I fear this will be my last 5 touring.

Me too! I have only had one; my G31 which I had for 5 years was great but the new design, prices and restrictions on what we can have in the UK (plus the cr*p after-sales service) have put me off new BMWs for ever. I'll just have to continue using my Z3 for the BMW straight 6 experience 🤪 

• Like 1

Can’t imagine the i5 is flying out to be honest. I got an email earlier offering a £7,000 deposit contribution on a brand new model. At the list prices I’m honestly not surprised. To think the G30 started at under £40k when it was new, it’s crazy. 

BMW are going to a new business model next year. No discounts or haggling, buy online with your local dealer just doing demo/handover. BMW will own every car in the showroom.

There is no profit in new cars - quite the reverse. The main profit centres are service, bodyshop, parts and used cars in about that order. New car sales are a dead duck. This new arrangement means dealers can make a decent profit. 

EV's are very possibly going to flop - it's a foolish manufacturer that ignores its customer base. Dropping the 520d is madness. 

• Like 1

On 04/03/2024 at 12:54, Sir Anthony Regents Park said:

BMW are going to a new business model next year. No discounts or haggling, buy online with your local dealer just doing demo/handover. BMW will own every car in the showroom.

There is no profit in new cars - quite the reverse. The main profit centres are service, bodyshop, parts and used cars in about that order. New car sales are a dead duck. This new arrangement means dealers can make a decent profit. 

EV's are very possibly going to flop - it's a foolish manufacturer that ignores its customer base. Dropping the 520d is madness. 

Mercedes went like this around a year ago, no wonder BMW are following suit. In all honesty I think BMW are losing their appeal with the latest models.