Forum 5

rebuilding an E28 in tank fuel filter

JohnH

My filter material has torn allowing crud to block the pump. This is the kind of filter used on 520i. It doesn't have an in tank pump. The "shoe" however is similar to the in tank pump type.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The price for the whole unit is in excess of £300 and I have no intention of paying that.

Has any one ever glued new filter material to the "shoe". 

Edited by JohnH
trying to get the pictures to show

Second hand units on ebay are anything from £150 to £400+, so they are ruled out, especially as they are of doubtful quality.

So the question is, what filter material and glue should I use? Specifically which manufactures product and part numbers.

• 4 months later...

After discussing this with the guys over on the mig welding forum a suggestion was made to use a fuel tank filler sock, so as a temporary measure I did:

spacer.png

There was some concern that petrol might attack a zip tie so I tried to use a metal one. The big problem is it was just too large to get through the hole on the tank, so in the end, before I went completely nuts, I fitted it without. The filter sock was a tight fit over the shoe anyway. All fitted up, it seems to work well, so off for its mot, which was passed with flying colours (i think).

I do have a more permanent solution, involving nylon mesh and special glue, which I will document later when the weather gets a bit better.  

Edited by JohnH
  • Like 1

On 20/01/2023 at 05:09, Sharkfan said:

Where did you get the filter sock John? I must have got lucky with mine a few years ago (same type as yours) as I managed to clean the crud off with some clean petrol and gently using a toothbrush.

Off ebay, search for "twin air fuel tank filter sock". They aren't cheap, about £25 unbelievably. Others may do the job, but the important thing was the mesh size of about 40 microns (.4mm) (.04mm) or less. 

Daisy, my car had been standing for a few years and crud and rust had unbeknownst to me built up in the tank and after a couple of test starts had ripped the filter mesh, and lead to a catastrophic pump failure. I had tried to start it 6 months previously and the pump wouldnt run. The pump had rusted internally, so I replaced it with a new one. I wasn't very pleased when this one packed up aswell.

Edited by JohnH
Got the size wrong