Forum 5

G31 broken in to but no damage???

I checked my BMW app yesterday morning for fuel level. It said my car was unlocked and drivers door open. This update was 0148 in the morning. Looked out of the window and all looked ok. We don't have a drive and it was outside next door's house. When I got out to the car it was unlocked and drivers door ajar on the latch. There was no damage at all. a pair of old glasses and sunglasses stolen from the arm rest. BMW dash cam shows the ******* passing the front of the car at that time.

Now here's my issue! No comfort access therefore they can't scan for the key, no-one approached the house. Key in the kitchen at the back and due to no comfort access the key only sends a signal when buttons are push (according to my internet searches) So how have they unlocked it? And what about the so-called Thatcham cat 1 alarm and immobiliser. The alarm didn't go off.

Do I challenge BMW on security?

Sounds like opportunist scumbag rather than top end car thieves unless they couldn't start it. 

Rather worrying that they managed to get in. 

I have faraday pouches for my keys as it does have Comfort Access.

One thought is has the car been anywhere recently where the keys might have been cloned? A garage or tyre place?

The car has basically been outside the house apart from driving it occasionally. It's only really been used for trips away or days out in the past year due to having a discovery commercial work vehicle.

Think I'm going to have a word with BMW/Sytner they claim their cars are "safe"

Are you sure you didn't inadvertantly press the unlock button (it is really easy to do)? I have done this twice with mine and both times come back to find the tailgate open (but rest of car locked); a BMW key pouch £30 ouch) stopped this happening again!

Edited by Mr H
  • Like 1

^^^ +1

Done it a dozen times bending to untie my shoelaces with the key in my trouser pocket both the tailgate and a full unlock. Doesn’t the car relock if no door is opened within a given time? Come out a few times to find the tailgate open and rained overnight too, even had a cat sleeping in it overnight!

Edited by BobA