Forum 5

Missing service book

Michael1983

Hi All, 

I'm wondering if anyone might be able to point me in the right direction. I have just purchased a low mileage E39 but the person ive brought it from got it via another guy and long story short the owner had passed away and the family couldn't find the documents for the car.

I used to work at a car dealers so have dealt with missing service history before successfully. I noticed the cars license plate had a BMW dealer logo so rang the dealer hoping they would use a computer system thar linked in with other dealers but apparently not and they claim to have no records for the car on there database.

Has anyone successfully obtained duplicate history for a bmw? On the web I saw people mention bmw customer care and bmw warranty department. I can see the locations the car has been Mot'd since 2006 so at least from that point the search area is quite small but the previous 8 years where it would have done the bulk of its mileage and been more likely to have been to BMW dealers are a mystery.

When I bought my E39, albeit a long time ago in 2010, I called BMW in Bracknell.  They were very helpful.  They did actually tell me the dates of each visit to a BMW dealer and roughly what was done as well.  I was then going to follow up with each dealer to find out more detail and get printouts of  what was done but didn't in the end.  The info I got was pretty good though.  For example that the auto transmission was serviced / oil changed at about 40k miles and they named the dealer that did it.  Not sure why because BMW says it's sealed for life. Anyway that was 100k miles ago.

Edited by Dbcrd