Forum 5

Swapping E61 for F10/F11

Mpgscott

Hi All,

Looking to move my old faithful 2005 E61 535d for a newer model.  However seen some say that the F-series can be more problematic than that of my old wagon.

However I realise that if it’s not been looked after then that is the biggest hassle with any car not just our Beemers.

Anyone swapped up from the E-Series and what’s your experiences thoughts.

im ideally wanting a 535d again and keen to retain the adaptive cruise that my E61 has.  What package is this and take it the added buttons are on the left of the steering wheel?

Thanks

Mark

I've always found the F10/F11 generation to be among the most reliable of the 5 Series bunch. I've had a fair few and never had any major issues. Timing chains aside on the 2.0 diesel. Generally any F-Series car has been very reliable from the ones I've had. Adaptive cruise is a rare option, but looking for a 535d hopefully you'll find one with plenty of options. Adaptive cruise does add the additional buttons on the left side of the wheel.

Do you have a budget in mind? I'd recommend if the budget will stretch to an LCI car. They have a few nice additions over the pre-LCI and benefit from being Euro 6. There's a handful of 13 plate LCI's and most came in on a 63 plate. There are some pre-LCI cars floating around on a 63 plate however. Rear suspension airbags are a known weak point on F11's but generally, good cars.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, mullinsj08 said:

Out of curiosity I had a look on Auto Trader. I found one 535d touring but it didn't have active cruise control.

This is a 530d but it's a luxury model and has active cruise control: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202306248886395

Just in budget at £14,999

The photos on that link have the steering wheel without the Active Cruise Control buttons (red) first pic.

The second pic shows the buttons, 4 & 6,  for ACC (the same buttons in the same place on pre and LCI)

I have ACC on my F11 and really like it - fantastic for motorway journeys. I didn't know about it when I bought it, I was just lucky it came on the one I chose. 

bmw wheel 1.jpg

bmw wheel 2.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Munzy said:

The photos on that link have the steering wheel without the Active Cruise Control buttons (red) first pic.

The second pic shows the buttons, 4 & 6,  for ACC (the same buttons in the same place on pre and LCI)

I have ACC on my F11 and really like it - fantastic for motorway journeys. I didn't know about it when I bought it, I was just lucky it came on the one I chose. 

bmw wheel 1.jpg

bmw wheel 2.jpg

Ahhh OK! In that case ignore me. 😄

The buttons I was looking at on the right of the steering wheel were for lane departure.

• Like 1

On my 2nd F10 got a mint 2017 from main dealer fantastic car many differences from my previous F10  which was 2010  which also was a nice car  previous to that i was driving an E 60 all are and where 530d as stated regular service dont do the long oil change and all will be fine 

The F10 is far more reliable from an electrical  point of view compared to the E60.

The F1x Suffers from the same issues as E6x. Suspension arms, prop giubos, diff leaks but it’s nothing major.

The F11 rear air suspension is probably less reliable than the E61.

same rules apply, the engines need regular servicing as in earlier than the factory spec. 

The 8hp auto boxes are far more reliable than the 6Hp in the E6x. 

The twin single tails club in F1x is an exclusive one, there ain’t many about so good luck finding a 535d variant. 

And make sure the yellow grommet is cleaned out. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Mpgscott said:

Thanks, yea hoping for 2014 or 2015, looking at a luxury spec as fancy the comfort seats over that of m-sport.

Anything between £11-15k

At LCI BMW introduced the "Luxury" model which had the wide iDrive screen, different bumper covers and 18" wheels as standard. Comfort seats were an option and were not standard. Like the driver's assistance features, they were very rare.