Forum 5

Thinking About A Warranty

BobA

Thought I’d ask this here too as there’s a fair chance of a few F series cars around whose owners have opted for a warranty.

My G31 is an April 2018 build and it’ll soon be its 6th birthday. I’m planning on keeping it though as it’s low mileage and everything I need in a car so  I’m starting to think about a warranty. I’ll consider the BMW offering as I doubt if there’s anything better but I’m expecting it to be pricey and I might end up going 3rd party. Anyone here with a warranty? Any recommendations one way or the other? Thanks.

I have the f10. And pretty much said the exact same to myself a few years ago.

i do low mileage and when I do go places it’s a good run.

7 years old now and only done 35k.

after the AUC ran out I’ve always just got the bmw warranty. First few years I paid to have a 250£ excess with roadside, until yesterday.

In a matter of days I’ve had fuel in the oil reported and a windscreen pump stop working (no noise) and then start working…so I imagine something is starting to fail.

I literally just renewed last night and decided to go for the £100 excess as I fear whilst low mileage, with the age of the car, age will make things fail.

my experience is that with anything you see go wrong you have to pay for the investigation. If they don’t find anything, or what they find isn’t covered, then you’re still paying for the investigation. I guess that seems logical…but at first it didn’t to me.

so my fuel in the oil I’ve paid out £180 as part investigation part fresh oil. And they still haven’t found the problem as yet.

so even with no excess id have paid this until they find the reason and I guess i get back the investigation costs and maybe the oil too.

I don’t think any other warranty comes close and at least if you challenge it’s all with the same company. 

can’t remember all the prices but for comp with roadside and 250£ excess it was 680£ and for 100£ excess it was 870£

Edited by Skynet5

As I have the tools and ability, I wouldn’t go for a warranty and use what I save to buy any parts.

Although in my experience, the items that have failed, springs shocks and arms are relatively cheap to buy OEM and fit myself. The cost of the part has been less than the excess of any warranty claim so I reckon I’m up on the deal. 

2 hours ago, Andrew said:

As I have the tools and ability, I wouldn’t go for a warranty and use what I save to buy any parts.

Although in my experience, the items that have failed, springs shocks and arms are relatively cheap to buy OEM and fit myself. The cost of the part has been less than the excess of any warranty claim so I reckon I’m up on the deal. 

Valid point and totally see it from the point of view. However, time is valuable, would rather pay £100 excess and not have to roll around. Used to really enjoy bits of maintenance, now though I just see it as hassle. 

13 hours ago, Andrew said:

Oh I get that, not everyone is daft like me who likes breaking out the spanners and get filthy dirty. 

I’ve always done my own maintenance too - still do when it’s practical - but now with 75 well behind me and a big birthday on the horizon I can’t rely on my own abilities so much. I was trading whinges with my neighbour on Saturday who’s had his big birthday and who’s 520 has just spent a week and a bit in the garage with a misfire (and a bill north of £1k) - comes to us all!

Edited by BobA