Forum 5

Windscreen washer failure

Had a fun drive home.

No water coming out of jets.

So when I pull the stalk the wipers go. But I hear no sound of a pump. Thought it might be frozen.

When my lights came on the headlight washers worked, and the distinctive sound of a pump is heard.

But no sound of a pump at all for the windscreen jets.

any pointers on what to check?

I guess as the car is 7 years old it could easily be a pump failure or a fuse gone.

tips and links appreciated and I’ll try and sort It myself rather than have to take it to a dealer.

So I went to check the fuse box. Noticed the lead to my dash cam was off at the camera end. I guess the mechanic disconnected that.

Plugged it in and then checked the washer and it worked.

obviously the dash cam being unplugged didn’t make me think it would disable the washer 🙂

so I looked at the fuse box and found I had piggy backed off the lighter anyway.

so no clue. But now it all seems to be working without doing anything.

Edited by Skynet5

I've had a few instances where my windscreen jets didn't work and then they did the next time. Reading fault codes it showed a blockage, so perhaps there's some gunk somewhere that trips an over pressure warning sometimes such that they don't work.

I've nearly run out of fluid and I'm going to switch to the BMW stuff. If it happens again I may have to clean the system. 

13 hours ago, Steve84N said:

I've had a few instances where my windscreen jets didn't work and then they did the next time. Reading fault codes it showed a blockage, so perhaps there's some gunk somewhere that trips an over pressure warning sometimes such that they don't work.

I've nearly run out of fluid and I'm going to switch to the BMW stuff. If it happens again I may have to clean the system. 

That’s good to know thanks. 

I always use bmw screen wash just on the safe side as mixing leads to problems apparently.

I've got an odb reader but not used it for a while. 
what’s the best free app to use these days?

Edited by Skynet5