Forum 5

Johnjack78

Car play is supposed to be available, from BMW from 2017. But you need to have NBT EVO, ID5 or 6. With this it's a software activation  I think, unless you have a very basic set up. If you have NBT, ID4, then you'll have to upgrade hardware, or go aftermarket and add an MMI box, or a replacement head unit.

Below is a link that you might find interesting, or useful.

https://www.bimmer-tech.net/blog/item/49-how-to-retrofit-carplay

Your car has iDrive 6 and you can buy it through the connected drive website and your account but as @ally says, don't bother, the iPhone connected and using the built in BMW capability is far superior in my opinion. Maybe if you use a 3rd party NAV app, it may be of some use? I have it from factory on my 6GT and had it configured for about 2 days before reverting to the built in system.

On 14/11/2023 at 02:16, Kopfjaeger said:

Car play is supposed to be available, from BMW from 2017. But you need to have NBT EVO, ID5 or 6. With this it's a software activation  I think, unless you have a very basic set up. If you have NBT, ID4, then you'll have to upgrade hardware, or go aftermarket and add an MMI box, or a replacement head unit.

Below is a link that you might find interesting, or useful.

https://www.bimmer-tech.net/blog/item/49-how-to-retrofit-carplay

Thanks I will look into it, surprised the car I traded in was 2016 and had CarPlay, so good for google maps and Waze